By now we’ve all seen the video supposedly of Solange Knowles pummeling Jay-Z in an elevator of a New York City Hotel.
And from the looks of it Beyonce may have woke up like this but Solange woke up mad, and ready to fight
The video is a spectacle.
And I have to admit that I’ve watched it over and over and over again.
Each time is like the first time.
I flinch when she corners him.
I cringe every time she tries to kick him.
I know he’s a grown man who is bigger than her but I feel sorry for him standing there wondering what to do like a trapped animal; his wife seemingly barely lifting a hand to defend him.
I also wonder what our collective reactions would have been had it been Jay-Z punching, kicking and yelling at Solange or any other woman for that matter.
I would venture a guess that he would have been arrested and taken to jail almost immediately or shortly after the video surfaced.
Without question there is a double standard when it comes to domestic violence committed against men.
Here’s food for thought.
A survey taken by the CDC in 2010 found that 40% of the victims of severe, physical domestic violence are men.
And the study shows that “despite many findings that show almost equal amounts of abuse perpetrated against men and women, the media and government focus the most attention on the female victims of domestic violence.”
Men feel they should be stronger and don’t want to be embarrassed by a physically smaller woman getting the best of them.
They don’t want to be ridiculed when the police show up.
And someone like Jay-Z just doesn’t want the attention.
Because if not for the videotape in that elevator, who would believe that tiny Solange could actually hurt big Jay-Z?
And as we see in that video the truth is that women more often use objects like purses and shoes against men; many times those objects are deadly weapons.
According to one study, “63 percent of males as opposed to 15 percent of women had a deadly weapon used against them in a fight with an intimate partner.”
So for all of you who are rationalizing Solange’s behavior by saying she was either defending herself or her sister against some egregious act by Jay-Z, think about this first.
That could indeed be true but for whatever reasons there isn’t much research on domestic abuse against men by official government agencies.
And because of that the study states that people are able to perpetuate myths like women are only violent when defending themselves, or that men could more easily leave a violent relationship.
It’s simply not true.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25