NEW YORK (AP) — Writer-comic Larry Wilmore of “The Daily Show” has earned Stephen Colbert’s coveted Comedy Central time slot following Jon Stewart each night.
Comedy Central said Friday that Wilmore will host “The Minority Report” at 11:30 each weeknight, starting in January.
Wilmore, who’s black, will add a different perspective to a late-night landscape dominated by white men.
The network said “The Minority Report” will provide a platform for “underrepresented voices in comedy and media.” It was created and will be produced by Stewart, who will continue to host “The Daily Show.”
Colbert, a fellow “Daily Show” alumnus who was rewarded with his own show a decade ago, is wrapping “The Colbert Report” at the end of this year and will take over for David Letterman at CBS’ “Late Show” next year.
Comedy Central president Michele Ganeless said network officials were “thrilled to be expanding our relationship with Jon Stewart and Busboy Productions and are looking forward to the world getting to know Larry Wilmore even better.”
Wilmore will move from his Los Angeles base to New York to tape his new series.
“I’m beyond excited to have this chance to continue my relationships with Comedy Central and the brilliant Jon Stewart,” he said. “I love the city of New York and promise to only wear my Laker T-shirts when I’m layering.”
Stewart, calling Wilmore “a brilliant comic and showrunner,” joked that “this is all just a complicated ruse to get him to move to New York and turn him into a Knicks fan.”
The 52-year-old Wilmore serves as Senior Black Correspondent on “The Daily Show,” which he joined in 2006. Before that he had written for “In Living Color,” ”The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” and “The Jamie Foxx Show.” He co-created the animated series “The PJs” with Eddie Murphy as well as the critically acclaimed “Bernie Mac Show.”
More recently, he served as executive producer of ABC’s comedy “Black-ish,” which just received a series pickup.
Just who would fill the vacancy left by Colbert has spurred a guessing game in recent weeks. An obvious successor would have been John Oliver, who left “The Daily Show” for an HBO program, “Last Week Tonight,” which premiered in April. A presumed candidate: “At Midnight,” a comedic trivia show hosted by Chris Hardwick that has gained a following since premiering last fall. It will remain in place, following “The Minority Report.”
Wilmore’s new show isn’t the first Comedy Central venture to give a minority slant to satire. In fall 2008, the weekly “Chocolate News” was hosted by David Alan Grier, but it lasted just one season.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information visit here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31