MIAMI (AP) — Miami Dolphins safety Don Jones was fined an undisclosed amount Sunday and will undergo educational training after sending a negative tweet about Michael Sam, the first openly gay player to be selected in the NFL draft.

Shortly after the St. Louis Rams took Sam in the seventh round Saturday, Jones tweeted “OMG” and “Horrible.” The tweets were taken down a short time later.

Jones apologized for his comments Sunday and described them as inappropriate. The Dolphins said Jones has been excused from all team activities until he completes training related to his comments.

“We were disappointed to read Don’s tweets,” coach Joe Philbin said in a statement. “They were inappropriate and unacceptable, and we regret the negative impact these comments had on such an important weekend for the NFL. We met with Don today about respect, discrimination and judgment. These comments are not consistent with the values and standards of our program.”

The Dolphins reacted swiftly to Jones’ comments in the wake of the team’s bullying scandal last year, which embarrassed the NFL and prompted a nationwide debate about workplace harassment.

Jones said he regretted that his tweets took away from Sam’s “draft moment.”

“I remember last year when I was drafted in the seventh round, and all of the emotions and happiness I felt when I received the call that gave me an opportunity to play for an NFL team, and I wish him all the best in his NFL career,” Jones said in a statement. “I am committed to represent the values of the Miami Dolphins organization, and appreciate the opportunity I have been given to do so going forward.”

Jones’ agent, Chris Martin, could not be reached Sunday for comment.

(Photo Source: AP)

21 thoughts on “Jones Fined After Sending Tweet About Michael Sam

1. Joe Valdez on said:

Here is why Black Americans are the White Man’s Toys just like this Michael Sam , a true example of The State Of Black America

Black Americans are easy to control and manipulate by White people. Black Americans are so thankful when their White masters pat on the head -just like a good dog- and throw them a bone.
    Examples are the White Homo Sexuals who have now gained the upper hand in America way more than any Black organizations. It is ok to abuse Blacks , but look out if you dare speak about Traditional Family Values.
    Black Americans are done and back to modern day slave status . Black education levels rank at 90th level in Math and Science in the world .in 2013 American education levels that includes all races world ranking has fallen from 12 th in 2008-2013 ( under Obama) down to 24th in reading and writing , and 28th in Math and Sciences. Blacks have are by far the least educated Americans, and are by far the poorest . 75% of all Black house holds are headed by a poor Black woman , while the Black man is in jail, on drugs, Gay, or in jail.

Black Americans are by far less educated than many 3rd world Africans, Black Cubans.
    45% of all young eligible Black men date White women , 25 % are bi-sexual learned in jail , only 30% date their own Black women.
    The State Of Black America is terrible. Democrat have run down cities like Detroit(Bankrupt), Chicago, Cleveland, St Louis, Indianapolis, Kansas City,Los Angeles etc…..

Black are the most religious hypocrites , on Sundays for 2hrs they go to churches like no others, thereafter they slaughter each other, have Gay Sex , Fornicate , Beat their women , use drugs, drop out of schools etc….

2. Well if Jones have his right and so do the owner of the clippers so let him say what said and blacks go and sit their ass down. But where was the free speech for him again double standards, and Mr free speech where were you then????????????

3. like anything else if you don’t want your children to watch cut if off, because with your thinking and the police brutality it will be a blessing if your sons make to age where it matters. Stop being so ignorant black people who are discriminated against everyday. Live and Let Live that should be every black person Mantra. Because we are the lowest when it comes to college graduation, income, property, business ownership, and highest in crime, drop out rate, incarceration, and health disparity want you ignorant ASSESS be concern about that instead of who’s fucking who or kissing who. GET A LIFE

4. Overall I don’t have a problem with gay people. I’m not gay so it really doesn’t affect me. We should all be respected. However….I don’t want to see two men, nor two women kissing in public. To be honest it’s uncomfortable to see. Just keeping it real.

5. janey on said:

This world is going to hell in a handbag. What disturbed me is espn kept showing it and they justify it by saying it was a history making moment. Now heterosexual people can’t make a comment without being accused of being a homophobic. I do not agree with this life style and I don’t have to. Heterosexuals have rights too.

6. Timekeeeper on said:

When I saw thois, my first thoughts were OMG! as well. Where does that warrant a fine? I understand that the NFL needs to protect their brand. I get that. However, if we beign shaming folks who dont agree with the lifestyle we are beginning a slippery slope towards somewhere ugly. Plus, its a double standard as well. We can threaten the president, show him in crosshairs, follow his children in their car, say the meanest and most hateflu things about all minorities and yet, an OMG! towards this picture warrants a fine and suspension. Man, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to Satan becuase he is laughing and opening up his presents on this one.

7. One other brief point… My boys both 15 and 8 are football fans. My 15 year plays both football and basketball. My 8 year old only watch two Channels (whatever channel Sponge Bob) is on and ESPN.
    What disturbed me is my son sitting in his room with a horrid look on his face as they continue to show the clip of the two kissing…
    As a parent if you are NOT disturbed by this we are really sinking fast. I COULD CARE LESS WHAT SAM IS/DOES/WHO HE DO WHAT WITH. His business, more power to him! But yes I have a problem with the lifestyle being pushed on our children. For all who will say otherwise, more power to you too. Do YOU! But please stop pushing/forcing it on our children!

8. 06050412 on said:

Both Sam and Jones are talented athletes. They have their own “chosen”, livestyles. One should be able to comment about the other if it’s not derrogatory or disrespectful. ESPN deliberately caused this controversy. The gay lifestyle is controversial and some people are afraid to discuss it because it’s so controversial. That kiss was offensive, or to some extent uncomfortable, to some. Others celebrated the move because it promotes a certain lifestyle they are perfectly okay with. This is America and i don’t believe people like Mr. Jones should be silenced. America should not be silenced when it comes to the acceptance or rejection of the gay lifestyle. It should be the topic of a healthy discussion because it is controversial, but people are being bullied and blackmailed by those on either side of this issue. To me what happened to Mr. Jones is unAmerican.

• I wholeheartedly agree 06050412. It is/was my intent to write about this subject prior to the comment made by Don Jones. Many may disagree, some may agree, but we should ALL have the ability to speak our mind. What happen to liberty, freedom of speech?
      Yes, many of us will agree that the comments made by Sterling were inappropriate, BUT, that’s what he felt/feel. Be it good, bad, or ugly. Same applies here.
      We have become so fearful of being subjected to mainstream correction that we have become the “speechless”…for lack of a better word. Can we really, say it like we mean it, speak out, and speak “our individual” truths? Otherwise we are becoming spineless, and incapable of openly speaking our thoughts and opinions. We don’t have to agree, like, or even support it but shall we suppress our opinions to appease others?
      I will continue this topic and write an essay sharing “MY OPINION” @ http://www.prolificviews.com

9. IanRousseault on said:

I do not think that Jones should have been suspended or fined! There are a lot of people who are just not comfortable with this period! I have no problem with Mr. Sam being drafted into the NFL at all. If you are talented enough and want to play, so be it! But MY GOD, that kiss between him and his ‘boyfriend’ on national tv, was disturbing to say the least! ESPN should not have allowed or aired that, that was simply disgusting!!!! This is American NFL Football, there is NO male on male kissing in Football! Are you kidding me???? Does Mr. Sam really think he will advance gay acceptance into the league by displaying this behavior that should be kept in his PRIVATE life????? And what about the children who just happen to be watching this with their parents???? I refused to discuss this ‘gay issue’ with my children, EVER!!!! I would rather chew and eat GLASS, rather than to see something like this again! ESPN you really let down a lot of American Football fans and families!!!!

• Ian: I’m curious….why won’t you discuss the ‘Gay issue’ with your children? I don’t think they should keep showing the kiss; however the ‘gay issue’ is here to stay, and not going away. Depending on a child’s age; why are some parents scared to discuss sexual issues with their kids??!! I’d rather for kids to be informed than not informed about life. I once asked a guy if he explained to his sons that they should use condoms to protect themselves against diseases, and so a female won’t get pregnant by them. The young men were headed to college, and like it, or not they were going to be having sex. His answer was “I’m not going to talk to them about sex.” What a dumb move!!!!!

• IanRousseault on said:

The ‘gay issue’ isn’t my issue or my family’s, so I do not feel the need to bring this up and I never will! There are far too many real and important things to talk about with my children!

10. MAlex on said:

given today society it was a stupid thing to say. but he did not use offensive language and name calling, so doesn’t he have a right to his opinion? Just asking

11. Yvonne on said:

Given the Martin/Incognito situation where fellow black players supported the N-Word-spewing white player, I would say that Jones IS representing Dolphins values. What on earth is going on there?

12. trotwoodjanet@aol.com on said:

for shame. now you remember when you were draffted, and only a year ago. may your career be short and bitter, just like you…..