An African couple decided to go on a journey to the United States of America. But it’s how they got there that is raising eyebrows.
According to WSVN7:
Riaan Manser and Vasti Geldenhuys are the first couple to row across the Atlantic Ocean. Manser and Geldenhuys touched U.S. soil for the first time on Wednesday after rowing to Miami from Morocco. “I’ve never been in the U.S.A., and it’s a privilege,” said Manser with tears in her eyes.
They left Agadir, Morocco, on Dec. 30, 2013 on a 7-meter ocean rowing boat named the “Spirit of Madiba,” named after Nelson Mandela. “Shucks, we are proud of ourselves. It has been a long journey,” said Geldenhuys. “We have been in the water for more then 100 days.”
More then 100 days on the water with no support boat in sight, and they said, they had a few close calls on the choppy waters. “We were about 2,500 kilometers out at sea, and the boat capsized. The big waves picking us up and throwing us over,” said Geldenhuys.
“We had almost died, so this being our highlight is pretty awesome,” said Manser.
Geldenhuys is no stranger to danger. He cycled the perimeter of the African continent in just two years. He has kayaked around Madagascar in 11 months and paddled around Iceland in a five-month period. “I’m just happy, just so, so happy,” said Geldenhuys.
Geldenhuys said his girlfriend of 14 years joined him on his journey. “Now we’ve done something incredible together,” he said. “A love story. Very sore bums, and a love story with … listen we didn’t smile at each other the whole 105 days at sea.”
“A big hamburger with bacon, cheese and anything else that can go on it and a beer and Coke Zero,” said Geldenhuys about what they hope to eat after they docked in Miami.
What’s next for the adventurous couple? Their last stop will be in New York City and they will then get on an plane and head back home to South Africa.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information visit here.
(Photo Source: WSVN7)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25