Now that the spectacle of Donald Sterling is somewhat behind us, where do we go from here?
Every time something like this happens many people get all bent out of shape, up in arms and outraged.
They hoop and holler, stomp their feet and yell at the television.
Then they simmer down and ease back into their normal lives until the next time, until the next outrage opportunity presents itself.
While it is true that Donald Sterling’s words were disgusting and vile, he’s not the only one.
He’s just the one who got caught, the one who gets the attention.
CNN political commentator Marc Lamont Hill says, “The Sterling controversy resonates with black people because it speaks to a bigger problem in their everyday lives. The sentiments expressed by Sterling play out in the daily racial micro-aggressions experienced by black people at work, school, and public space. He unwittingly confirmed what we intuitively knew to be true: many people still hold on to anti-black racism.”
He hit the nail on the head, especially with the micro-aggression part.
Those micro-aggressions are the thousand little pin pricks that happen on a daily bases which cause many of us to sometimes overreact and blow up over the smallest transgression.
How many times have you witnessed a friend or co-worker losing their cool over something that most of the white people around you didn’t understand but you did?
How many times have a friend or co-worker pulled you aside and said, “Hey man or hey girl, chill. You’re scaring the white people?”
It’s funny but it happens.
And when it does, it does shake you back into reality.
But back to my opening line, where do we go from here?
Here’s what I think.
Americans have to stop assuaging their own guilt about racism by thinking that if they condemn someone like Donald Sterling or Paula Deen loud enough or forcefully enough that they’re free and clear and are no longer racist.
That is not so.
When it comes to racism it’s the everyday things that matter the most to the most people.
Everyday things like having few if any black friends in your circle, like associating with or hiring mostly people who look just like you, like moving to a black neighborhood because it’s cheaper but not socializing with your neighbors because you secretly fear them, like not being able to tell black people apart, like not being able to appreciate black beauty, like thinking every black person in a store works there.
I could go on and on and on but I’ll stop there and just let you think about it.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25