While co-hosting the national radio show, Keeping It Real with Rev. Al Sharpton, I listen carefully to the occasional caller who will ask us to ignore racists, take the high road, and move on.
No, I won’t. I can’t ignore racists – who incidentally are on the rise in America, according to The Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks hates crimes across the country.
Black Americans should be reminded of the elected leaders who side with bigots (or who don’t denounce them) as we approach the mid-term elections in November where all 435 seats in the House of Representatives and 33 of 100 seats in the U.S. Senate will be contested along with 38 governorships and 46 state legislatures.
Take Texas Gov. Rick Perry, the ultra-conservative Republican and potential presidential candidate who refused to denounce Cliven Bundy, the radical Nevada rancher who questioned whether the “Negro” was better off in slavery.
“I want to tell you one more thing I know about the Negro,” Bundy said recently. “Because they were basically on government subsidy, so now what do they do? They abort their young children, they put their young men in jail, because they never learned how to pick cotton. And I’ve often wondered, are they better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things, or are they better off under government subsidy? They didn’t get no more freedom. They got less freedom. Are they slaves to charities and government subsidized homes?” Bundy asked.
“And are they slaves when their daughters are having abortions and their sons are in the prisons? This thought goes back a long time.”
Bundy, who seems to get more ignorant by the minute, even implied that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. would agree with him.
“I thought about what Reverend Martin Luther King said,” Bundy said. “I thought about Rosa Parks taking her seat at the front of the bus. Reverend Martin Luther King did not want her to take her seat in the front of the bus. That wasn’t what he was talking about. He didn’t want this prejudice thing like the media tried to put on me,” he added.
“I’m not going to put up with that because that’s not what he wanted.”
So now Bundy is an authority on civil rights history?
CBS This Morning‘s Norah O’Donnell gave Perry the opportunity to respond to Bundy’s remarks but Perry sidestepped the question.
“I don’t know what he said, but the fact is Bundy is a side issue here compared to what we’re looking at in the state of Texas,” Perry said. “He is an individual. Deal with his issues as you may. ”
What does that mean? Does Perry condone Bundy’s racist remarks or does he expect us to believe that he really doesn’t know what Bundy said? Either way it’s problematic because Bundy represents the worst kind of thinking in a nation where people of color are gradually outnumbering whites.
And as the multi-cultural landscape changes, more racists emerge. According to The Southern Poverty Law Center, there are currently 939 known hate groups operating across the country.
“Since 2000, the number of hate groups has increased by 56 percent. This surge has been fueled by anger and fear over the nation’s ailing economy, an influx of non-white immigrants, and the diminishing white majority, as symbolized by the election of the nation’s first African-American president,” The Southern Poverty Law Center reported.
I’m not suggesting that Bundy is part of a hate group, but I am saying that his comments about African Americans are hateful, offensive and bigoted. Even though some Republicans have denounced Bundy’s remarks, others remain silent because they have stood by him during his highly-publicized refusal to pay the federal government more than $1 million in grazing fees, which resulted in a recent armed standoff between the federal Bureau of Land Management, Bundy, and his supporters.
Meanwhile, Bundy insists that he’s not a racist. That’s not surprising. What wrong-thinking bigot ever admits to being prejudiced?
What do you think?
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31