Tom: This morning we are talking about a very important part of hunting for a job now.
Mellody: That’s right, Tom. The economy is picking up after a tough winter, and so is the job market. So, if you have been waiting for the storm to blow over a bit and are looking to take the next step in your career, now might be the right time. So, I am here to talk about the job search, but more specifically, I am here to talk to you about managing your online presence when you are searching for a new job – both things to do, and things to avoid.
Tom: fantastic! What is the first thing we need to know?
Mellody: first things first: be aware that employers will research you online. Companies regularly search for you on Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and other platforms, so you need to make sure you are aware of what a search of your name on these any of these platforms will turn up. A CareerBuilder survey found that 48% of employers conduct web searches on candidates, 44% search Facebook accounts, and 28% of employers search on Twitter. and if a simple search on these platforms turns up things that you would not want your employer to see, you need to take steps to remedy this.
That being said, you can turn these searches to your advantage. By coordinating the different social media platforms, you can harness these searches to improve your image in the eyes of prospective employers.
Tom: can you give us some examples?
Mellody: Certainly! Take your LinkedIn profile. If you have one – and you should – you need to have a professional profile photograph, and your name and location should match your resume. That way, when employers search for your name, the first impression they have of you will be the same thing they will see when you walk in to their office for the interview. As they say, you don’t get a second chance at a first impression.
Additionally, start a professional Twitter account, and make sure to use your name and photo from your LinkedIn page. Use this account to follow companies and experts in your field. For example, if you are in education, follow secretary of education Arne Duncan. This will not only keep you up to date on the development in your industry, but by using it to share insights and interact on twitter, it will demonstrate your engagement with what you do, or want to do. Just remember – avoid the controversy on this platform!
Tom: This is great advice! What else should we think about?
Mellody: Going back to LinkedIn, Tom, it is important to make sure you are utilizing your page to the fullest extent possible. Don’t simply have your name and current position; fill in all of the boxes here! While you may be finding job openings and submitting applications, your LinkedIn page allows employers and others to see your resume without you having to send it out! Take advantage, and have your resume up to date on LinkedIn.
After you have made sure you have your page updated, you have to use the site! Connecting with colleagues and friends, and following influencers is important to building the network. Also, it provides you the opportunity to connect with their contacts, which is the whole point. So don’t be afraid of asking your contacts to introduce you if they are in your field, or in your geographic area. The best way to get a foot in the door is to know someone who can open it for you!
Tom: That last point is very important, Mellody! Any final thoughts?
Mellody: Of course. The final point I want to make sure we get across – scrub your social network sites of anything that could leave a bad impression. If you have a personal facebook page that is public, make it private. If you have a Twitter account that you use to share gossip with friends, you should think about making it unsearchable or removing your name from it. ultimately, any site that is linked to you via a name or email address or in any other way could come up when people are searching for you, so make absolutely certain that your personal sites stay personal. This way, you have your best, and professional, foot forward.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading MONEY MONDAYS: Job Hunting? Pay Attention To Your Online Presence!