PLAY AUDIO

For iPhone:

Many people donned their Sunday bests of hats, flowery pastel dresses, and linen or seersucker suits to attend church on Easter Sunday.

But it is getting harder and harder to fill those pews even on Easter, the busiest Sunday of the year because, according to a Pew study, the only religious group in the U.S. that is growing is the religiously unaffiliated.

A major new report from The Brookings Institute which will go into more detail about why will be released later this week.

The study will show that, ‘young Americans today are less affiliated religiously than any previous youth cohort in history.’

The Public Religion Research Institute also has found that 35 percent of Americans under age 30 are unaffiliated.

It also states that one-in-five 18 to 29 year olds say that religion is not important in their lives, compared to only 10 percent of those 50 and older who say that.’

Why?

The Brookings report will site two main contributing factors, ‘the decline in formal religious affiliation, particularly among the young, and the bad rap religion has gotten as a result of the culture wars and the prominence of conservative religious figures.’

In other words, young people, Millennials, are over it.

The study shows that they have ‘only known a world in which religion and the right are intertwined. Young people associate religion with intolerance and homophobia, and therefore they do not see themselves, or wish to be seen, as religious.’

Although Protestants are taking a hit, Catholics are taking a bigger one.

Today thirty-one percent of Americans were raised in the Catholic faith, yet fewer than twenty-four percent describe themselves as Catholic.

The loss would have been even greater if not for immigrants, mostly from Spanish speaking countries who identify as Catholic.

Many believe that number may turn around for Catholics if the new pope, Pope Francis, continues his focus on social justice and inclusion.

However, protestant churches are having a tough time too convincing their flocks to come back to pews.

According to the Daily Beast the competition is so fierce that on Easter Sunday some mega-churches were handing out flat-screen TVs, iPads, Starbucks gift cards and even using TV show themes like The Walking Dead and zombies to lure new members, especially young ones.

There is nothing to show that any of this works.

In 1992 a Gallup poll showed that seventy percent of the respondents said they were members of a church or synagogue; in 2013 it was fifty-nine percent.

While I wouldn’t count church out just yet, it is obvious that for whatever reasons more and more people are either turning away from organized religion or are watching services from home on TV or the internet.

The biggest mega-church of them all could soon be what a rapidly growing number of people have playfully and quite accurately nicknamed, Bedside Baptist.

(Photo Source: PR Photos)

28 thoughts on “DON LEMON: Organized Religion; Why We Aren’t Going To Church Anymore

1. Harvey Milk Stamped “Out” Forever !

The Obama Cabal is behind universal GAYety with a “forever” postage stamp glorifying Harvey Milk, a Jewish homosexual predator “attracted to boys aged 15-19,” according to WikiAnswers! (Also see Wikipedia.)
    Global gaydom was even predicted by Jesus (see “days of Lot” in Luke 17 and compare with Genesis 19).
    And the Hebrew prophet Zechariah (14th chapter) says that during the same end-time gay “days” ALL nations will come against Israel and fulfill the “days of Noah” at the same time (see Luke 17 again) – a short time of anti-Jewish genocide found in Zechariah 13:8 when two-thirds of all Jews will die.
    In other words, when “gay days” have become universal, all hell will break loose!
    Shockingly, the same “days” will trigger the “end of days” – and when they begin, worldwide human government will quickly wind down in just a few short years! For the first time in history there won’t be enough time for anyone to even attend college, let alone have a family, save money, enjoy retirement, etc.
    One final thought. The more we see gays “coming out,” the sooner Jesus will be “coming down”!
    For more, Google or Yahoo “God to Same-Sexers: Hurry Up,” “Jesus Never Mentioned Homosexuality. When gays have birthdays…,” “FOR GAYS ONLY: Jesus Predicted…” and “USA – from Puritans to Impure-itans!”

[Hi Don. Saw the above item on the net and just want to share it. ]

2. Maybe fewer young people are going to church, because fewer young people believe in God. I sometimes go to church because I like the community, but most of the God talk seems totally implausible to me, so I don’t go very often.

3. Mr.Mike on said:

Maybe not in our lifetime, but I religion becoming a thing of the past in the near future. As one poster siad, the fear tactics dont work anymore. Couple that with the hyprocracy of most “church folk”, the hatred of gay people (Lets be honest, NO ONE hates “gay” as much as the Black church), and the obvious BS spewed week after week by the rockstar pim..Oh I mean pastor, who’s own pockets seem to grow while the faithful flocks just get smaller. And then there is that whole SCIENCE thing…I see religion in the future as a small entity, or an “old timey” fringe element that people USED to believe..

4. Virginia so your church had 7 services on Easter Sunday. No offense…..but so what. A more interesting question to me is how many Black businesses are in your church’s immediate community? I’m willing to bet zero to (1), with the one being the church (because lots of churches are nothing more than businesses). If there were 7 Black owned businesses in your community….then that would be something to brag about. Black churches have been holding services for decades. Tell me how many services have been geared to encouragepeople to start businesses in the community.

5. Jonah on said:

I stopped attending church over 15 years ago — having been both a general member as well as active within church operations (across a number of denominations, both Protestant and Catholic). Organized religion has come to mean little to nothing in my daily life. Yes, to each his own. However, I have a major issue with your religion imposing on one’s pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness. I believe this is the core reason the under-30 crowd just isn’t interested anymore.

6. Linda on said:

I have not stepped foot in a Baptist church in more years than I can count for the simple reason that our churches are full of HATE!

The Bible does not preach hatred of others, however, many African American pastors stand up in the pulpit and spew serious homophobic hatred.

That is passing judement-when none should be passed!

In addition, the churches are all about $$$. Therefore, I refuse to put my hard earned $ in the plate for the minister to live large on, in a fine mansion, with custom tailored suits, handmade Italian shoes, etc.

I would rather feel more comfortable reading my Bible and believing in my own way at HOME!

Some folks don’t know the true meaning of Christianity–it is just a fancy word that they like to use!!!!

• tewdeeq on said:

That is why I can not find a church to go to. No different than the outside world, filled with bigots and their money and turned into an industry like everything else in America. I hope one day I will find a church where people know who God is and at least attempt to act accordingly.

7. The fact that your church was packed on Easter Sunday is immaterial. The commentary isn’t about your church, but about the community as a whole. The real question to answer is whether EVERYONE in your zip code goes to church EVERY Sunday? If the answer is no, then you have to break it down demographically. And if there’s an age gap in church attendees, then the question is WHY?

8. Many of us still are going to Church. And, we should all continue going to Church because NOT ALL CHURCHES HAVE betrayed Jesus Christ and the Gospel, although Some have. BUT there are MANY CHURCHES that are working faithfully to uphold the true Gospel principles of Jesus Christ, which are based on Love, integrity and morality. Admittedly, the immoral and hypocritical behavior and teachings of some have given “organized religion” a bad name in such a way as to cast a negative light on the church, period. Being organized is not the problem, for GOD is a God of Order and scripture shows that HIS Kingdom is very organized. The problem is when we allow rules and tradition to overshadow gospel principles and our personal relationship with GOD… as the Pharisees and the Sadducees did. Jesus knew the enemy (satan) would attempt to corrupt and destroy His church, driving people away, discouraging others and causing some to even believe that Christian faith and belief in GOD is a cultural myth. So, Jesus warned us: “Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves…You shall know my true followers by the good fruit that they bear…” (Matthew 7:15-20) We see the fulfillment of Jesus’ prophecy about false prophets, teachers, etc. So, since we were forewarned by Jesus of what to expect, let us not fall for the trick of the enemy (satan) and become disillusioned or discouraged because as Followers of Christ, we are engaged in spiritual warfare and need GOD’s help to remain steadfast in our faith to fight and win the battle. Therefore, let us not minimize the importance of each one of us having a “personal” relationship with GOD within the organized Body of Christ (the Church)…so that we do not forsake the gathering of ourselves together, as Scripture admonishes, to encourage/uplift and exhort one another. (Hebrews 10:25).

9. To each his own…..but I don’t believe in god, or the bible. My reasons are too many to state on this blog; but my biggest beef overall is that there are too many contradictions in the bible. But for those of you that do believe (and I ain’t mad at yeah….like I said to each his own)….my question is does PRAYER WORK? I ask that question because for YEARS PEOPLE HAVE BEEN PRAYING FOR THE SAME THINGS….TO NO AVAIL, i.e., a job, a home, a husband, etc. Seems to me that a husband would be a simple thing for god to give his female believers. Family is key; and doesn’t god toot that the male is the head of the household? Believe me I know having a job, a home, and a husband is (or can be complicated)….but I would think that’s the least your god could provide.

10. Tyrone on said:

GOD KNOCKED-UP-MARY: I stopped going to Church when I finally realized God violated His Own Commandment by impregnating Mary, who was UNDERAGE [12 or 13 or 14]. God is to be our EXAMPLE, therefore if any man should do what GOD did, we get put under the jail for statutory rape.

• tewdeeq on said:

Are you sure this wasn’t a form of “in vitro” fertilization, or even an adoption of Jesus before he was born? What a wild imagination. How can you have an opinion what God does or didn’t do if you don’t believe in him.

• Tyrone on said:

tewdeeq, first & foremost I believe in GOD, not the God represented to our fore-parents who were slaves in this strange land. Secondly, whatever you may refer to how Mary was impregnated, it was STATUTORY RAPE and a violation of Adultery or Fornication by the God of Christianity.

11. There's More to Church! on said:

Just going to church does not prove anything. Church is where you should get yourself TOGETHER. Then step out on the strength of your shared intentions and religion. God is not going to just let you waste his TIME! It is fear that draws you back asking, what to do? If you can pray together you should be able to work together and manifest the word that you carry. If this is not being done as an act of faith, why bother?

12. TD Jakes, eyes rolling back in his head having a conniption while Tyler Perry lays hands on him. (After TP gave the church a million bucks). Creflo Dollar dancing in a big ass pile of money being laid on the alter by parishioners. Eddie Long. ( No explanation necessary). Preacher referring to women as “hoes”. Preacher instructs women to come to church without wearing panties. Preachers Of LA. Pedophile priests. I could go on, but BAW will refresh the site, and I’ll have to start all over. But you get my point. Need more reasons?

• Tanisha on said:

Thank you. This is my point as well and not to mention the parishioners being judgmental and obnoxious. Why go to church when you can worship in your own way at home without judgment.

13. Timekeeeper on said:

As always, religion evokes the best ( and worst) comments from individuals. A bad church experience should never, take the place of a personal experience with Jesus Christ. Although I do understand ’cause “church folk” can be something. That is just one of the many, many reaosns people are falling away from the church…. and God. Actually, this was predicted by bible prophecy so it shouldnt be so earth shattering. This “falling away” is all part of God’s plan ( If you actually believe) Political correctness, the political drama between church & state, man chanigng the bible meaing to suit themsleves, and yes even contrary curch folk are part of the reasons people no longer go. add to that a boatload of pastors who flaunt their wealth to the american people and get caught up in sex scandals. You can go on and on, but I think we should get the point.

14. After growing up in a very drama filled church and having so called “adults” treat my sister and I bad because of the jealousy they felt for my family, I’m just over church. I believe and teach my children to believe, but I have not had the best experience when it comes to the church members…as a child and as an adult.

I want to get the word without the drama.

15. stephanie on said:

Couldn’t be you are still there, hypocrite acting all righteous when you know you are in the closet and worst of all a pedophile. Why the hate for Mr. Lemon? jealous? is lack of interest in you the fact that he is well liked and respected? joe, you have to get this hatred and bitterness out of your heart and come out the closet, if not peace and happiness will always elude you

• I said it. on said:

Now that’s the truth. You are part of the reason why many people don’t believe in God. You will have a lot to answer for one day.