Rappers Young Jeezy and Nas said it best – “My President is Black.”

When I shook hands with President Barack Obama at the White House last year, I was looking directly at a Black man – the first African-American commander-in-chief in U.S. history.

For me, there is no question that the president is a Black. But not everyone in America sees Obama as I do. According to a new study by the Pew Research Center, a majority of Americans describe the president as “mixed-race,” while just more than 27 percent call him Black.

Whites and Hispanics are far more likely to describe Obama as “mixed race,” while a large majority of African-Americans see him as Black, according to the study. Obama, the son of a white mother from Kansas and a Kenyan father, self-identifies as Black. In 2010, the Associated Press said Obama “did not check multiple boxes on his U.S. Census form, or choose the option that allows him to elaborate on his racial heritage.

He ticked the box that says ‘black, African Am., or Negro.’’’ In other words, Obama views himself as a Black man. For some white Americans who voted for Obama, it may be easier for them to view him as “mixed-race” because it makes it more acceptable to have a partially black president in the White House.

But for Obama, being a black man is more than just checking a box on a Census form: It’s about what’s in his heart and soul – like his passionate stand about uplifting Black boys and inspiring Black men. That’s why Obama created “My Brother’s Keeper” – a new and unprecedented national initiative to empower young men of color.

In one of the president’s most fervent speeches during his tenure in the White House, Obama said he wants to ensure that young men of African-American and Hispanic heritage become an integral part of America’s success and educational excellence.

“If you’re African-American, there’s about a one-in-two chance you grow up without a father in the house. If you’re Latino, you have about a one-in-four chance,” Obama said in February. “We assume this is an inevitable part of American life instead of the outrage that it is. It’s like a cultural backdrop for us in movies and television. We just assume — of course it’s going to be like that. But these statistics should break our hearts and they should compel us to act.”

Hank Arron, the legendary Hall of Fame baseball player, not only views Obama as Black, but says the President is a constant target for racists simply because he’s African-American.

“This country has a Black president, but when you look at a Black president, President Obama is left with his foot stuck in the mud from all of the Republicans with the way he’s treated,” Arron told USA Today. “We have moved in the right direction, and there have been improvements, but we still have a long ways to go in the country. The bigger difference is that back then they had hoods. Now they have neckties and starched shirts.”

Arron, who received loads of racist hate mail after he broke Babe Ruth’s home run record 40 years ago, knows what it’s like to be despised just for being black. And he found out again, when the comments above made him a target of more hate mail.

President Obama is a black man. That’s how I see him. And I don’t need to examine his Census form to know it’s true.

(Photo: White House Flickr)

REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information visit here.

19 thoughts on “COMMENTARY: My President Is Black

1. October on said:

Dean, I agree with most of the issues you bring up. No, Obama is not black and why did he use a Black college commencement to send the message of not complaining. He would have dared to give that message at a White or Hispanic commencement. Nor would he sing an Al Green song to room full of Whites or Hispanics. Although I voted for him because I didn’t care for the Republican nominees but I had reservations. it does seem he wants illegals to take jobs from the Black community.

• Yes, the illegals take jobs from blacks and that’s a fact. The squeeky wheel gets the grease and blacks are too busy praising Obama as the “first black President” or “the first African American President” or “my President” to be critical of anything that he does or doesn’t do. And that’s a shame because blacks will wake up from their “dream” on 1-20-17 and realize that they have gotten little in the preceding 8 years.

And of course organizations like the NAACP, Urban League, Congressional Black Caucus also are on the wrong side of jobs for blacks and immigration.

On the other hand the Mexicans/Hispanics sqwack at every turn and threaten Obama at every turn so he caters to them at the expense of blacks.

Shame!

2. VirilisAfricanum on said:

The article’s author, like many, appear duplicitous with regard to any sort of definitive statement about the man. The gist of the article appears to be nothing more than a statement of the obvious; or dare I say, overstating the obvious. Which leads me to ask, “so what”. One of the authors previous article entitled, ‘ANALYSIS: Urban League Report Shows Blacks Losing Ground to Whites and Hispanics’, was essentially a sad commentary on how blacks are falling behind in the so called recovery. He states, “I’m reading some sobering statistics about how African-Americans are disproportionately unemployed, underemployed and losing ground to whites – and now Latinos — on a national income scale.”.

This incessant fawning over this man and his family by “us” has reached the point of ridiculousness. The fact is “we” only make up 13% of the population, therefor, “we” only provide a small assist in helping him secure the office. However, “we” act like “we” did the heavy lifting. Even if every eligible black voter voted, “we” would only make up a modest fraction of the total vote, given the electoral college system. So in that regard, some of “us” need to get our head out of the clouds and address the realities that we are faced with, rather than being so obsessed with his race.

Probably the worst culprits of this obsession are the so-called black elite, those who refuse to see anything but his color (folks who aren’t critical thinkers), those who have an axe to grind with non-blacks, and lastly, the most shameless of them all is the black (liberal) media. The Congressional Black Caucus runs a close second.

A tree is known by the fruit it bears, but we have somehow become enamored only with the fact that he looks like us. He panders to us when he needs our support or when other folks are beating on him mercilessly (which some have made it their life’s mission to do). We all know Jackson was correct (I’m no Jesse fan) when he said “he talks down to blacks”, but we aren’t trying to hear that. He NEVER chastises a white audience, but “we” will give him an “amen” right after he tells us “Stop Complaining” and then sing an Al Green song. So, to my original comment regarding this ownership of this man, I say again, “So What”.

• IanRousseault on said:

I think it’s GREAT that he talks down to blacks, someone should!!!! So maybe a large majority of black folk will wake the F___ up!!!!!!!

• VirilisAfricanum on said:

With shows current “and former” shows and movies like Love & Hiphop, Basketball Wives, Real Housewives (and their reunions),The Parker’s, Meet the Browns, House of Payne, Soul Plane, Flava of Love, and the list goes on, I think it’s pretty clear that with the media strongly supporting (to the tune of millions) Koonin and Buffoonin whenever they can; it’s pretty clear there’s a certain “Type” of Negro that they want to portray to the world, and I can assure you, it’s not the type of Black person that doesn’t care (or has no clue) about being shamed. That “Type”, will never, as you say, “wake the F___ up!”, they are beyond Shaming.
        However, I don’t think it’s the “majority”, as you stated. It may be the majority that are paraded in from of the video and print media constantly. All of the YouTube Black Stars are usually folks that are too ignorant to know that people are laughing at them Koonin. When they make of parody of them, they’re really making fun of them. But it’s in someone’s best interest to show “only the worst element, the most unflattering, vile images of black people possible.

Does anybody really think if you asked Black People which member of Public Enemy they would rather see get his own reality show it would have been Flava Flav (hint: Chuck D). If “we” owned major motion picture studios and a fair number of television stations, is it likely that we would constantly cast ourselves in a negative light.
        Non black Society wants to see the negative images, the welfare mom with 10 kids and no dad, complaining about no help for her kids; the Sweet Brown, Charles Ramsey talking about ribs; the effeminate Antoine Dodson with his bandana. Non Black America has an apatite for the Jerry Springer, Ricki Lake, Maury Povich type of shows. This way they can complain about, blame, amuse, and fell better about themselves all at the same time. Indeed, we are sleeping by not waking up protesting about all of these things collectively, but I think the next revolution of ideas won’t come until we have sunk as far as we can – keep in mind, however, that as blacks go, so goes the nation – there are no winners here.

• IanRousseault on said:

I must disagree with you about other races enjoying seeing blacks in these situations. That’s simply NOT TRUE at all. I’m not trying to say I’m happy about this, but all of my friends are of other races, except for a few that I can count on one hand. I have found all of my friends truly caring, accepting in ways that would blow your mind, intelligent, forward thinkers and over all just amazing people who are my family and not just my friends. All of my colleagues at work are of other races ‘if you can believe that in the year 2014’? That really blows my mind as I sit here at my desk looking over the office……. Not all people of other races want to see black people fall flat on their faces! But is up to us as people of color to control our image, and we should only project nothing but positive images and well educated dialogue! And EVERYTHING else should be SHUT DOWN right away!!!!!

3. tweener8292 on said:

The Affordable Care Act MUST be working and the economy MUST be getting better, however slowly. When things aren’t going well, he’s as Black as the Ace of Spades….

4. my best friend’s step-mother makes $78 an hour on the internet . She has been out of work for 10 months but last month her payment was $13224 just working on the internet for a few hours. try this out
    WWW.J­­O­­B­­­S­­7­­4­­­­­.C­O­M

• He doesn’t define who he is. He goes by a racist standard. Steven Biko said “The greatest weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed.” That one-drop standard was not designed to help African Americans. It was designed by the slavemaster for his benefit. It’s racist. I reject racism and I don’t care who propounds it. He doesn’t get to say. A race or ethnic group is not a club. You either are or you are not. A person can’t chose his/her gender or sexual orientation (it chooses you) and can’t chose his/her race or ethnic group.

5. Well, Obama is neither black nor African American. He’s not black because he’s half-black and half-white. He’s mixed or biracial (and some would use the apparently “politically incorrect” mulatto word). And he’s not African American because African Americans are the American descendants of Africans who were enslaved and brought to America. African Americans have a different history than black immigrants to this country (such as Nigerian Americans, Kenyan Americans, Jamican Americans, African Canadians, etc.). In this regard, Obama is Kenyan-Irish American or Irish-Kenyan American because he’s Kenyan on one side and Irish on the other side.

I am an African American and proud of it. Obama looks like the typical biracial, mixed or mulatto guy. I have some relatives who are biracial, mixed or mulatto and so I know. I know many African Americans and I know many African immigrants (from countries such as Nigeria, Ghana and the Ivory Coast). He doesn’t define who he is. He goes by a racist standard. Steven Biko said “The greatest weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed.” That one-drop standard was not designed to help African Americans. It was designed by the slavemaster for his benefit. It’s racist. I reject racism and I don’t care who propounds it. He doesn’t get to say. A race or ethnic group is not a club. You either are or you are not. A person can’t chose his/her gender or sexual orientation (it chooses you) and can’t chose his/her race or ethnic group.

34 percent of black people in America realize that Obama is not black. 55 percent think that he is. Is that the 55 percent that have lead us to high employment, low infant mortality, low crime rates, etc? I think that it’s the 55 percent that is deaf, dumb and blind.

6. This is ridiculous. This “My Brothers Keeper” initiative by Obama is a drop in the bucket. Here are thngs that Obama can do but won’t that will be much more effective. 1. A job is the best social program that there is, yet Obama is pushing amnesty for illegal immegrants that would cement in jobs that illegals have stolen from blacks. (See http://www.theroot.com/articles/politics/2010/02/how_illegal_immigration_hurts_black_america.html?utm_medium=feed&obref=obinsite and after reading the first two paragraphs you’ll realize that illegals have stolen millions of jobs from blacks.) Here’s immigration reform we can believe in: 1. Make E-Verify mandatory for current and future employees and have the process issue a numbered receipt to show compliance 2. Have enforced penalties of at least $20,000 per employee per day that do not pass E-Verify. 3. Couple that with prompt appeals of those who do not pass. 4. Couple that with the provision that expenses for employees that do not pass E-Verify are not tax-deductable as a business expense. This will turn off the magnet of work and will not lead to deportation costs. The unemployment rate of US citizens and legal immigrants will go down as the illegals go back home by train, plane, automobile, boat or foot! Problem solved!

2. Penal-Industrial Complex Reform. The US has one-quarter the population of China yet it has more people in jail and prision —and China is an authoritarian or totalitarian country. Between the ages of 20 and 30, 30% of black men in America will be in prison, parole, jail, or probation. About 40% of jail/prison inmates in the USA are black. Are blacks more prone to crime? Perhaps because of poverty and lack of jobs (See point 1 above) and racial discrimination but they are not inherendtly THAT much more prone to crime. The criminal-justice system (Part of the Penal –Industrial Complex) is not a level playing field. Study after study after study have shown that it’s titled against black at evey level—and severely so—from arrest, to booking to charging to convicting to sentencing to probation and parole. And once these men get out of jail, they have a heck of a time finding jobs because not they have a criminal record. And the absence of such as productive members of black society tears the fabric of the black community, meaning more crime, children without the postive influence of a man, etc. And yet Obama can do something about this. He has the power of pardon that he doesn’t use in this effort and he has the power of what to prosecute in the Department of Justice. And he has the power of the Bully Pullpit and example for reforms that need Congressional and approval in the 50 states.

3. Obama should start and lead an effort to come clean with the effects of slavery and Jim Crow. Every time such a discussion as this comes up about the ills that plague blacks in America, some “wise-guy” such as “iann11” here that says something like “This is a Travesty, Why are black families failing their children every day!!! Black men should live with their children in the same home, Stop having multiple children with multiple women, Educate your children, Talk with your children everyday about expectations you have of them. Love your children, don’t walk out on them.” This is blame the victim talk. Why do we know that it’s blame the victim talk. Because it’s not all blacks in America that he’s talking about. It’s about African Americans—the descendants of Africans enslaved and brought to America and not Nigerian American, Ghanaian American, etc.

• IanRousseault on said:

YES! Dean, I stand by EVERYTHING that I said about black men and black families. I don’t give a DAMN about talking about excuses about the effects of slavery! My God this is 2014, get your F______ head out of your ass and live your life as it should be lived. Anything less is truly a Travesty!!!!!!

• I see no prior comment by you on this article so I’m not sure what your talking about. Although what I read appears to be drivel.

• Did you read what I wrote? If so, you would realize that the onus is squarely on Obama. 1. With respect to immigration/jobs, Obama wants black to be unemployed so that illegal immigrants can be employed! 2. With respect to Penal-Industrial Complex Reform, Obama has the the absolute power of pardon, which he isn’t using. 3. With respect to studying the effects of slavery and Jim Crow, Obama has the power and money to appoint a “Blue Ribbon” commission to do that and he has done so on many other occasions. So he has power to act in each of the three areas but he did not, does not and will not. He’s stabbing African Americans in the front and in the back!