Some high school students are skipping lunch period to pack in something else — another academic class.
“Most often these students want to take an additional honors or AP course, or an elective like a foreign language, band or choir,” Jim Szczepaniak, a community relations director at Niles Township High Schools District 219 in Skokie, Ill., said in an email.
District 219 allows high school students, with parental consent, to forgo lunch to take another class. The school day includes nine 42-minute periods, one of which is usually used for lunch.
At least a handful of school districts around the country allow students to skip lunch to take a class for credit. Relatively few students in District 219 take advantage of the option.
Only about 300 of 4,800 high school students in District 219 don’t take a lunch, Szczepaniak says.
Advocates of school lunch say that students who choose to not eat lunch in the cafeteria increase the stigma for low-income students who rely on the free and reduced meal program.
“A concern that our members have when you look at declining participation in the school meal program is the possiblity that there are going to be kids who feel like they don’t want to go to the cafeteria because only the poor kids go to get their lunches there,” says Diane Pratt- Heavner, a spokeswoman for the School Nutrition Association.
Participation in the national school lunch program declined by 3.7 percent from the 2010-2011 school year through the 2012-2013 year, after having increased steadily for many years, according to a January 2014 U.S. Government Accountability Office report.
Students who don’t sit down to eat a healthy midday meal will not have the attention span and level of detail they need to succeed in school, Pratt-Heavner says.
“Wolfing down a meal between classes is not promoting a healthy lifestyle,” she says.
District 219 encourages all students to take a full lunch period each day, Szczepaniak says, but school officials find ways for students who don’t take a lunch to eat during the day.
“We let fully booked students go to the cafeteria to pick up lunch during their homeroom periods,” he said.
Students who don’t take a lunch period say that the extra time allows them to pursue a subject they are passionate about, such as art or music, which they may not otherwise be able to fit in their schedule, according to several news reports.
Nerys Muller, a student at Vineland High School in Vineland, N.J., told district officials during a hearing on the school’s lunch policy that choir and theater classes helped the shy student break out of her shell, according to a South Jersey Times report.
Similar to students in District 219, Vineland High School students who have parental permission are allowed to opt out of a lunch period and take an additional class. The South Jersey Times reported that many of those students enroll in fine and performing arts classes.
The school board considered making lunch mandatory for all students, but strong opposition from parents and students convinced the board to allow the practice to continue.
Do you think kids skipping lunch is a good idea? Do they need that break to re-focus for the rest of the day?
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information visit here.
(Photo Source: PR Photos)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30