I recently discovered that I’m a Master Chemist. I know how that sounds, but it’s the truth. For the past 3 weeks I’ve been trying to find the perfect concoction that will style my hair perfectly and the only way I can explain the process is by comparing myself to a Chemist.
A couple weeks ago I was looking around online for some curly hair advice and I found this video:
You don’t have to watch the whole thing if you don’t want to, but I chose to visit her site and see if there were any products on her list that might work for me since my staple is no longer making the products I need in the size I want.
I also was hoping to find cheaper prices and since I live close to Fulton Mall in Brooklyn I decided to walk around the many Beauty Supply shops and see what I could find.
DISCLAIMER: Just because some of these products did or did not work for me doesn’t mean they will or will not work for you. Please don’t pour a fortune into all these products, start off with something easy then see how your hair reacts.
Note: YOU DO NOT NEED SHAMPOO! Shampoo dries out the natural oils in your hair and frizzes the curl. If there are suds in your shampoo do not use it! All of the conditioners below will work as both a wash and a conditioner for your hair.
Queen Helene: Super Cholesterol – Hair Conditioning Cream
Size: 2lbs Price: 6.99
This one was a wonderful surprise. It was recommended to me by a white woman of all people with hair almost as curly as mine. I was complaining about how hard it is to find conditioner I like for cheap and she suggested Queen Helene.
I love this product! It’s great for my hair, super moisturizing which is a must, it comes with a pump, it’s HUGE! And it has a large mouth at the top so when the pump stops sucking up conditioner you can go in for the rest without any hassle.
As I Am: Coconut CoWash – Cleansing Conditioner
Size: 16oz Price: 8.00
This was another surprise. I’d never heard of this company before but I know coconut loves my hair and it never hurts to have one other conditioner just in case. It comes in a nice big tub so you can just scoop it out and put in through your hair. Mine was so soft after. This isn’t my go to conditioner, but if I want something a little more intense than Queen Helene it’s a great alternative.
Another brand I’ve just discovered. I like Curl Junkie’s products and for the most part they seem to like me. That being said I can’t really justify spending almost 20 dollars on only 12oz, especially when the spout at the top means I will be required to put water in it to get the rest of the conditioner at the bottom.
A great product, but for me it’s a splurge. If you’re hair really loves it I say go for it, but this is my “In case of hair emergency break glass” conditioner.
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!