I recently discovered that I’m a Master Chemist. I know how that sounds, but it’s the truth. For the past 3 weeks I’ve been trying to find the perfect concoction that will style my hair perfectly and the only way I can explain the process is by comparing myself to a Chemist.
A couple weeks ago I was looking around online for some curly hair advice and I found this video:
You don’t have to watch the whole thing if you don’t want to, but I chose to visit her site and see if there were any products on her list that might work for me since my staple is no longer making the products I need in the size I want.
I also was hoping to find cheaper prices and since I live close to Fulton Mall in Brooklyn I decided to walk around the many Beauty Supply shops and see what I could find.
DISCLAIMER: Just because some of these products did or did not work for me doesn’t mean they will or will not work for you. Please don’t pour a fortune into all these products, start off with something easy then see how your hair reacts.
Note: YOU DO NOT NEED SHAMPOO! Shampoo dries out the natural oils in your hair and frizzes the curl. If there are suds in your shampoo do not use it! All of the conditioners below will work as both a wash and a conditioner for your hair.
Queen Helene: Super Cholesterol – Hair Conditioning Cream
Size: 2lbs Price: 6.99
This one was a wonderful surprise. It was recommended to me by a white woman of all people with hair almost as curly as mine. I was complaining about how hard it is to find conditioner I like for cheap and she suggested Queen Helene.
I love this product! It’s great for my hair, super moisturizing which is a must, it comes with a pump, it’s HUGE! And it has a large mouth at the top so when the pump stops sucking up conditioner you can go in for the rest without any hassle.
As I Am: Coconut CoWash – Cleansing Conditioner
Size: 16oz Price: 8.00
This was another surprise. I’d never heard of this company before but I know coconut loves my hair and it never hurts to have one other conditioner just in case. It comes in a nice big tub so you can just scoop it out and put in through your hair. Mine was so soft after. This isn’t my go to conditioner, but if I want something a little more intense than Queen Helene it’s a great alternative.
Another brand I’ve just discovered. I like Curl Junkie’s products and for the most part they seem to like me. That being said I can’t really justify spending almost 20 dollars on only 12oz, especially when the spout at the top means I will be required to put water in it to get the rest of the conditioner at the bottom.
A great product, but for me it’s a splurge. If you’re hair really loves it I say go for it, but this is my “In case of hair emergency break glass” conditioner.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂