You may have heard about the gas station worker who got fired after leaving a note for his boss complaining that her habit of not showing up on time and failing to let anyone know she would be late, was no longer acceptable. He locked up, taped the note to the door and left.
The note has gone viral, the gas station worker got fired and, now that he’s reached some level of fame, will probably get plenty of job offers.
The writer of the note says he was fed up and couldn’t take it anymore.
There aren’t many things more frustrating to an employee than having a lazy boss. I think this would be a good time to mention that I work for the Hardest Working Man in Radio. And the best thing about working for someone who works hard is that it makes you appreciate the time and effort they put it in. It also raises the bar for what you’re willing to do.
But it works the same way for bosses who are slackers and just because your employees aren’t bold or crazy enough to put it in writing for the world to see, doesn’t mean you’re doing a good job.
As a bosses or employees we should appreciate our positions, show mutual respect and come to the realization that life will be better for both when there’s an effort to make the job environment as pleasant as possible.
In light of the recent shooting at the Fort Hood Military Base in Killeen, Texas, once again mental health and worksite violence and have been brought to the forefront.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries reported 13,827 workplace homicide victims between 1992 and 2010. Averaging over 700 homicides per year, the largest number of homicides in one year (n=1080) occurred in 1994, while the lowest number (n=518) occurred in 2010.
From 2003 to 2010 over half of the workplace homicides occurred within three job categories: sales and related occupations (28%), protective service occupations (17%), and transportation and material moving occupations (13%).
I’m no psychologist but I would guess that high-stress, sleep deprivation, over-work and danger associated with these jobs play a role in the on-the-job violence.
We have an obligation for our own sake to diffuse negativity, report signs of extreme stress and mental illness and to seek help if we begin to see changes in our own level of anxiety.
Compared to what could have happened when that gas station worker decided he had reached his limit, a frustrating note was a lucky outcome for everyone.
Has your boss or a fellow employee ever caused unbearable stress? How did you handle it or how do you wish you would have handled it. If you had to write them a note what would it say?
No names please!
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information visit here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25