Jamie Foxx is reportedly attempting to reconcile with his biological parents who abandoned him more than four decades ago.
Foxx, born Eric Marlon Bishop, was left in the care of his mother’s foster parents when he was seven months old and struggled to understand why his parents did not make contact with him as he grew up.
The Oscar winner is now trying to build bridges with his parents and has even moved his mother, Louise, into his home in an effort to forge a relationship with her.
“We’re trying to learn (about) each other,” he tells Britain’s The Sunday Times Magazine. “The one thing I think is great is she’s in the same house, because you realize certain things that you missed when you were growing up, like, ‘Oh, I do that because of that,’ or, ‘Oh, I do this because of that.’ It’s profound.”
Attempts to reconcile with his father, who has since converted to Islam, haven’t gone as well, but Foxx remains hopeful.
“Fingers crossed, it will become a real thing,” he says. “But the door is open. That’s one thing I’ve learned: always keep the door and your heart open… I don’t hold a lot of grudges… But it’s tough, you know? Because there are questions, like, ‘What happened? Where were you? Were you stricken with something? Could you not make it?’ Growing up, I would always go, man… I’m a good dude. I wasn’t the kid getting in trouble. I was quarterback on the high school football team. And he only lived 28 miles away. So I always said to myself, you know, I’m gonna grade him a little harder for that, because he could have tried.”
Famous Folks Who Were Adopted or Orphaned
1. NFL wide receiver Demaryius Thomas was raised by his aunt Shirley and her husband after his mother was incarcerated for intent to distribute cocaine when he was 11-years-old. His father was serving overseas in the Army..1 of 14
2. Comedian Tommy Davidson was adopted by a white couple when he was around two years old. (Photo: PR Photos)2 of 14
3. Dancer and actress Victoria Rowell was a foster child for most of her childhood with both black and white families. (PR)3 of 14
4. The late Nelson Mandela was taken to a larger village and raised as a ward after his father died.4 of 14
5. Rachel Crow of X Factor was adopted by a white family when she was small. She recently signed a contract with Nickelodeon.5 of 14
6. Darryl McDaniels of RUN-D.M.C. discovered he was adopted while gathering information for his autobiography in 2000. (PR)6 of 14
7. Louis Armstrong was raised by his grandmother and in an orphanage when she was unable to care for him. (Photo: AP)7 of 14
8. Actor & Rapper Ice-T was orphaned at age nine and was looked after by a variety of family members and neighbors. (AP)8 of 14
9. Actor and comedian Jamie Foxx was adopted at seven months by his maternal grandmother. (Photo: AP)9 of 14
10. Nicole Richie was adopted by legendary singer Lionel Richie. (Photo: AP)10 of 14
11. Bo Diddley was adopted and raised by his mother's cousin, Gussie McDaniel, whose surname he adopted. (Photo: AP)11 of 14
12. Malcolm X was raised in an orphanage and in foster care. (Photo: AP)12 of 14
13. Marilyn Monroe spent much of her childhood in foster homes due to her mother's mental illness. (Photo: AP)13 of 14
14. Daunte Culpepper was adopted by one of the housemothers of the jail his teenage mom was in when he was born. (Photo: AP)14 of 14
REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information visit here.
(Photo Source: PR Photos)