Six months after Miriam Carey (pictured), a 34-year-old Mother, from Connecticut was shot dead in the nation’s capital under questionable circumstances, her autopsy report has finally been released.
Carey was shot multiple times, including once in the back of the head and once on the left side of back side, according to the report. The report does not mention exactly how many times Carey was shot, but video of the shooting indicates that officers fired at least seven rounds at her vehicle.
Officers from the U.S. Secret Service-Uniform Division and U.S. Capital Police fired shots at Carey, according to an initial police report (here in Parts 1 and 2). It is unclear if Carey was in her vehicle when she was fatally shot or if she exited the car and then was shot.
Carey, a dental hygienist residing in Stamford, Conn., at the time of her death, was unarmed and her 1-year-old daughter was sitting in the back of her black Nissan Infiniti at the time of the fatal shooting. The child was unharmed and is currently in the custody of her father in Connecticut, Valarie Carey, Miriam’s sister, told NewsOne.
Watch video of Miriam Carey’s shooting here:
Carey made national headlines on Oct. 3 after numerous reports suggested that she was trying to breach White House grounds or rammed barricades in restricted areas in downtown Washington, D.C., but the police report does not indicate that such breaches took place. What the police report does reveal is that Carey allegedly refused to stop at a vehicle checkpoint, made a U-turn, and “began to flee in the vehicle.”
Eric Sanders, the attorney who is representing the Carey Family and is a former NYPD officer, told NewsOne that the shooting was unjustified.
“It further strengthens my position that they killed this woman and there was no justification,” Sanders said. “There was no reason for [the shooting]. How was she a threat if she is driving away from you? She was shot in the back of the head. It would have been a better argument if they had shot her in the front, but they shot her in the back, which means she was moving away from them.”
The family has filed a $75 million wrongful death claim against the U.S. Secret Service-Uniform Division and United States Capital Police.
There were also reports that Carey was mentally ill and was on medication. The toxicology report reveals that no drugs — prescription or otherwise — were found in her system.
WND, a Washington D.C.-based news outlet that has been reporting extensively on the shooting from the very beginning, has filed numerous Freedom of Information Act requests asking for documents germane to Carey’s shooting. None of their attempts have been successful so far.
NewsOne reached out to the U.S. Capital Police and the U.S. Department of Justice, who is also investigating the case, for comment. We will update this story once we get a response.
Later this week, NewsOne will also publish a longer exclusive story outlining how the family is dealing with the aftermath of Miriam’s death.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31