A transgender student is accusing a North Carolina community college of discrimination after she claims the school’s security harassed her after using the women’s restroom, WBTV 3 reports.
Andraya Williams says she was leaving the restroom at Central Piedmont Community College, in Charlotte, when a security guard approached her.
“As I was exiting, the female security guard was coming in and she stopped me and asked me could she see me my student ID,” says Williams. “And I told her yes and I asked her why. And she asked me was I male or female. And I told her female and she laughed.”
Williams claims the security guard called for back-up and the situation spiraled out of control from there. She says even though she showed other security officers her ID, Williams, who identifies as transgender and considers herself to be female, claims security escorted her off campus and told her not to return until further notice.
Watch Williams discuss the ordeal in the video.
Williams says the situation occurred because of how she looks.
“When it happened I was really upset,” she says. “I was confused and you know I was really embarrassed and humiliated because there was other students around and there were a lot of security guards that came for back-up like it was a violent situation.”
She spoke to a college dean after the incident, but that did not bring her much comfort.
“He told me my suspension was lifted and he asked me to bring medical documentation stating that I am a female,” she said. “He said that would be the only way he could protect me from the same situation happening again.”
CPCC provided this written statement to WBTV:
“Central Piedmont Community College (CPCC) is an open-door, open-access institution of learning, and we are proud of its rich diversity. CPCC has a 50-year history of being fair, respectful and considerate of all students. The College does not tolerate harassment of any kind. College personnel have been investigating the incident in question for several days, and the goal is to reach an amicable resolution with the student in the near future.
School officials say ”The College has examined its policies and procedures, and we are certain that they are in compliance with current laws. The College will work to ensure those policies are followed and clearly communicated. We intend to have on-going dialogue with local and state LGBT leaders, including the College’s own LGBT organization, as we continue to address this issue.”
Williams’ attorney, Sarah Demarest, said that the school’s Title IV Coordinator allegedly told the student that she couldn’t file a complaint because she didn’t have any rights as a transgender student. Demarest said she is considering filing a complaint with the Board of Education and is giving CPCC an opportunity to rectify the matter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30