A transgender student is accusing a North Carolina community college of discrimination after she claims the school’s security harassed her after using the women’s restroom, WBTV 3 reports.
Andraya Williams says she was leaving the restroom at Central Piedmont Community College, in Charlotte, when a security guard approached her.
“As I was exiting, the female security guard was coming in and she stopped me and asked me could she see me my student ID,” says Williams. “And I told her yes and I asked her why. And she asked me was I male or female. And I told her female and she laughed.”
Williams claims the security guard called for back-up and the situation spiraled out of control from there. She says even though she showed other security officers her ID, Williams, who identifies as transgender and considers herself to be female, claims security escorted her off campus and told her not to return until further notice.
Watch Williams discuss the ordeal in the video.
Williams says the situation occurred because of how she looks.
“When it happened I was really upset,” she says. “I was confused and you know I was really embarrassed and humiliated because there was other students around and there were a lot of security guards that came for back-up like it was a violent situation.”
She spoke to a college dean after the incident, but that did not bring her much comfort.
“He told me my suspension was lifted and he asked me to bring medical documentation stating that I am a female,” she said. “He said that would be the only way he could protect me from the same situation happening again.”
CPCC provided this written statement to WBTV:
“Central Piedmont Community College (CPCC) is an open-door, open-access institution of learning, and we are proud of its rich diversity. CPCC has a 50-year history of being fair, respectful and considerate of all students. The College does not tolerate harassment of any kind. College personnel have been investigating the incident in question for several days, and the goal is to reach an amicable resolution with the student in the near future.
School officials say ”The College has examined its policies and procedures, and we are certain that they are in compliance with current laws. The College will work to ensure those policies are followed and clearly communicated. We intend to have on-going dialogue with local and state LGBT leaders, including the College’s own LGBT organization, as we continue to address this issue.”
Williams’ attorney, Sarah Demarest, said that the school’s Title IV Coordinator allegedly told the student that she couldn’t file a complaint because she didn’t have any rights as a transgender student. Demarest said she is considering filing a complaint with the Board of Education and is giving CPCC an opportunity to rectify the matter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25