While sitting at a traffic light at a busy intersection in Philadelphia, Glenn Wilson looked in his rearview mirror and spotted a young, black man in a hoodie running toward his car. His first reaction was to be prepared for danger; was someone chasing him, was the young man in trouble? Should he call the police?
As the hooded man slowed down and started to jog past his car, Wilson realized that his fear was misplaced. “He wasn’t running from anyone,” said Wilson, a victim advocate for the Philadelphia Children’s Alliance. “He was running to catch the bus. My fear is a perfect example of affects of systemic, institutionalized racism and the mental anxieties caused by the residual traumas of enslavement.”
The mental affects of enslavement, anxiety, depression, suicide were just a few of the issues related to mental health in the black community discussed during the 5th Breaking the Silence on Mental Wellness Conference. Sponsored by State Sen. Vincent Hughes the two-day conference held at Temple University Hospital in Philadelphia included more than 100 interactive workshops and group discussions that addressed topics related to mental health and how the community can work together to develop strategies to address mental wellness.
“The vision for this conference is to tear down barriers that hinder people from getting the help they need, educate communities about disorders, and reduce the stigma that surrounds mental health,” Hughes said. “We’ve internalized a lot of pain as a community. It’s time to stop suppressing it and open up the dialogue.”
The stigma attached to mental health makes it challenging for those who are suffering to seek help. This is particularly true in the African-American community, said conference presenter Argie Allen, director or clinical training in couple and family therapy at Drexel University. Mental illness can disrupt a person’s feelings, thoughts and ability to relate to others. Millions of people and their families are affected by these disorders, which can cause unspeakable pain that severely impairs how they function in the world.
However, trans-generational patters can be broken when people are willing to take the time to seek out support, Allen explained during a panel on mental health in families.
“We’ve proven that we can be resilient as a people, we just need the access to mental health services that help us fully heal,” Allen said Although mental wellness is essential in order to live a full, productive life, many mental health challenges are ignored or never diagnosed. Fully embracing the concept of wellness not only improves health in the mind, body and spirit but also maximizes one’s potential to lead a full and productive life, said Wilson.
“We have more tolerance for folks who have to go to the emergency room because their blood pressure is too high, but those who have mental health issues or experience a relapse are often harshly judged,” he said. Deborah McCoy, 26, a Philadelphia native now living in New York City, knows first hand that those affected by mental health issues need a strong support system to heal. After watching her brother try to readjust to life after imprisonment, she insisted that the entire family seek counseling.
Although McCoy’s brother wasn’t open to the idea of going to therapy, once she got him to commit to a session she watched his entire world change.
“It was the first time he had an opportunity to shed his mask, let down his guard and address his feelings with the support of his family,” she said. “It was also the first time I realized what my father meant when he said the most important thing I could ever do was love a black man… loving my brother enough to help him seek healing was a life-changing experience for my entire family.”
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information visit here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31