Sseko, an American fashion accessory brand is empowering the women of Uganda with employment and college education, the New York Daily News reports.
Operating from the Kyebando area in Kampala, Uganda’s largest city, Sseko — per its official website — “hires high potential women in Uganda to make sandals to enable them to earn money through dignified employment that will go directly towards their college educations and ensure they will continue pursuing their dreams.”
In addition to creating sandals, the women also craft scarves, leather bags, and hand-dyes totes, among other items. The brand comes at a time when Ugandan women often have limited resources and very little control over what they produce, according to the International Fund for Agricultural Development.
“If they do find jobs, there is a lot of family pressure on these women when they start making money to send it back to their family,” said Liz Bohannon (pictured center), who founded Sseko to help the women she encountered during a 2010 visit.
“I showed up in Uganda just trying to learn about what was going on and these issues, and I was so challenged and inspired by these women,” she added. “I had just graduated from university. I had gotten two degrees. I went to a great high school. They weren’t afforded that same privilege. [Sseko] was born out of those relationships.”
In addition to providing the women with full-time work, Bohannon takes half of her college-bound employees’ paychecks and places them in to accounts they cannot access until they go to university. She also matches whatever the employees have saved by then.
One of those employees is Sofia Emechu. Currently working in Sseko’s design department, Emechu will have enough money to pay tuition and live for a year at school when she leaves the company.
The 19-year-old plans on studying hospitality and wants to open a catering business in a hotel.
“Here, hotels employ mostly women like Sseko,” she said. “If I work in a hotel, I’ll be in a position to employ other women my own age.”
Sseko has grown to include 50 employees between Uganda and America since its inception. Bohannon’s husband even left his job to assist.
Forty-seven women have gone to college through the brand’s education program. Last year, it managed to sell 17,000 pairs of sandals, making it the largest exporter of sandals on the continent.
Bohannon plans on launching a similar initiative in Ethiopia.
Above all, though, Sseko seeks to let the women know they can be self-sustaining. “I chose something different because I wanted more to life,” said Agnes Netunze, who sources and orders local material for the company.
“I don’t need a husband to survive.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25