Sseko, an American fashion accessory brand is empowering the women of Uganda with employment and college education, the New York Daily News reports.
Operating from the Kyebando area in Kampala, Uganda’s largest city, Sseko — per its official website — “hires high potential women in Uganda to make sandals to enable them to earn money through dignified employment that will go directly towards their college educations and ensure they will continue pursuing their dreams.”
In addition to creating sandals, the women also craft scarves, leather bags, and hand-dyes totes, among other items. The brand comes at a time when Ugandan women often have limited resources and very little control over what they produce, according to the International Fund for Agricultural Development.
“If they do find jobs, there is a lot of family pressure on these women when they start making money to send it back to their family,” said Liz Bohannon (pictured center), who founded Sseko to help the women she encountered during a 2010 visit.
“I showed up in Uganda just trying to learn about what was going on and these issues, and I was so challenged and inspired by these women,” she added. “I had just graduated from university. I had gotten two degrees. I went to a great high school. They weren’t afforded that same privilege. [Sseko] was born out of those relationships.”
In addition to providing the women with full-time work, Bohannon takes half of her college-bound employees’ paychecks and places them in to accounts they cannot access until they go to university. She also matches whatever the employees have saved by then.
One of those employees is Sofia Emechu. Currently working in Sseko’s design department, Emechu will have enough money to pay tuition and live for a year at school when she leaves the company.
The 19-year-old plans on studying hospitality and wants to open a catering business in a hotel.
“Here, hotels employ mostly women like Sseko,” she said. “If I work in a hotel, I’ll be in a position to employ other women my own age.”
Sseko has grown to include 50 employees between Uganda and America since its inception. Bohannon’s husband even left his job to assist.
Forty-seven women have gone to college through the brand’s education program. Last year, it managed to sell 17,000 pairs of sandals, making it the largest exporter of sandals on the continent.
Bohannon plans on launching a similar initiative in Ethiopia.
Above all, though, Sseko seeks to let the women know they can be self-sustaining. “I chose something different because I wanted more to life,” said Agnes Netunze, who sources and orders local material for the company.
“I don’t need a husband to survive.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30