What’s the truth about Obamacare?
Is it a success or not?
Those are good questions considering the deadline to sign up without penalty ran out at midnight. So let’s remove the partisan posturing and bias and just stick to the facts when it comes to “The Affordable Care Act.” The facts are the program started in 2010. But the sale of insurance on the exchange, a key component of the law, got off to a rough start because the website kept crashing.
I think it’s accurate to say it was a disaster in the initial days.
It took the administration months to finally get it working properly enough to start signing up a substantial number of people. And just hours before the deadline to sign up at midnight on April 1, the sight, overloaded again because of volume, experienced more technical problems which prevented users from picking plans.
Those who tried and failed will be given a grace period to complete the process with their coverage now beginning on May 1st. The non-partisan Congressional Budget Office’s initial projection for nationwide users was 7 million people. As of midnight April 1st the administration reports more than 6 million people have enrolled.
So the truth is that Obamacare will likely approach it’s intended, initial goal.
According to CNNMoney.com, on Monday Health Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said that insurers are reporting between 80 to 90 percent of those who signed up have paid. 85% of those 6 million adds up to 5 point 1 million enrollees; still close to the intended goal.
And what about all those young and healthy people who needed to sign up to make the program work; the ones needed to offset higher claims from older, less healthy policy holders?
Again, according to CNNMoney.com, as of February, 25% of applicants were between the ages of 18 and 34. That means insurers’ projections could go up in 2015 if they in fact misjudged the market and the ratio of young to old signing up. Bottom line is Obamacare needs more young people to sign up to keep premium costs down.
Now to the infamous, “If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor.” Turns out, that’s not entirely true. Most insurers have purposely limited the number of doctors in their plans to keep premium costs down. Is Obamacare costing jobs? Research shows the jury is out on that, again according to CNN.
So, is Obamacare a success?
Here’s the best way to judge that:
The whole point of it is to reduce the number of uninsured people in this country and that won’t be determined until next year when the data is collected from this year.
The honest best answer yet is, we’ll see.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
(Photo Source: PR Photos)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25