The project is being funded by South African chemical company SASOL and La. Governor Bobby Jindal and is projected to cost $21 billion (the state plans on allocating $115 million in direct funding). According to a study from Louisiana State University, SASOL’s project will bring a $46.2 billion economic windfall to the state. It is also the largest industrial project in Louisiana history.
However, it would guarantee the destruction of Mossville, a 224-year-old settlement founded by Jim Moss, a freed slave who purchased the patch of land in the Houston River in southwest Louisiana.
The small village eventually became one of the first settlements for free Blacks in the country. Now a community of 500 residents, Mossville is already surrounded by 14 industrial plants.
As a result, chemical toxins in the town’s air are 100 percent higher than the national standard. Another study discovered that 84 percent of residents have a central nervous system disorder.
Still, some in the town aren’t going down without a justified fight.
“These people are not interested in moving,” said retired Lt. General Russel Honoré,a Louisiana native who is helping residents to block the plan upon their request last fall. ”This is their ancestral home. These are descendants of slaves that moved here when they weren’t wanted in any other parts of the community.”
Unfortunately, the horrid breathing conditions have forced other residents to leave the area.
A class-action lawsuit against Condea Vista (now absorbed into SASOL) resulted in the company buying out 206 Mossville homeowners in 1998. The lawsuit alleged that Vista had allowed ethylene dichloride, a carcinogen, to enter the town’s soil.
SASOL is also offering to buy out remaining properties in the town at 160 percent of their estimated value. The company is stating that the actions against their plan are from a few people; 80 percent of homeowners eligible for their buyout plan have registered. From those who have received buyout offers, 99 percent have accepted, they claim.
But the project could also further harm the environment.
According to a report from the Louisiana Department Of Environmental Quality, the plant ”will result in significant net emissions increases” of greenhouse gases, promethium, sulfur oxide, nitric oxide, and carbon monoxide. The department also estimates the project will create more than 10 million cubic tons of greenhouse gases annually.
One longtime resident who says she will have to move if the plans go forward spoke to Mother Jones.
“That’s the thing that hurts,” says Dorothy Felix, a seventh-generation Mossville resident. “I’m going to leave all of this behind — a place that I love so much, a place that I grew up, a place that I saw go from rags to riches. Now it’s about to go to nothing but the plants.”
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25
Continue reading Chemical Plant To Destroy La. Town Founded By Free Slaves?