LOS ANGELES (AP) — A $15,000 camera, Gucci bags, name-brand clothing, electronics and jewelry are among the thousands of dollars in valuables stolen by baggage handlers at Los Angeles International Airport, police said Thursday.
Police served more than two dozen search warrants and made six arrests Wednesday night after a months-long investigation in what was the largest baggage-theft operation in the airport’s history, Los Angeles Police Department Capt. Raymond Maltez said.
The joint operation with LAPD and airport police came in response to a string of theft reports from planes, terminals and runways. Police noticed lost and theft reports occurring at the airport more frequently when certain crews handled luggage.
Officers seized the stolen goods from 25 locations in the region, including the airport, authorities said. Officials will attempt to return the seized items to owners.
Those arrested were primarily employees or ex-employees of companies contracted to handle luggage and did not work directly for the airport, airport police Assistant Chief Michael Hyams said.
Maltez said the suspects worked for three contracting companies, including Menzies Aviation.
The alleged crimes “were limited to a handful of employees, acting independently,” the company, which has an office at the airport, said in a statement. “Menzies supports this enforcement action and pledges its complete cooperation with the police investigation,” the statement said.
Four suspects were taken into custody on suspicion of receiving stolen property and two for outstanding warrants. A total of 14 people were detained for questioning. More arrests were expected.
“It’s still not over. There’s a good possibility there will be more search warrants and more arrests to follow,” Maltez said.
Police said that while some thieves worked together, most acted on their own seizing opportunities to pocket items from luggage in transit.
Maltez said there was a general culture of acceptance of theft among the baggage handlers.
“They all knew about each other, although they weren’t working in concert,” Maltez said. “We’re looking at people who are opportunists, who have taken opportunities to steal.”
The thieves were also selling items on multiple sites, including Craigslist.
Detectives were still working to determine how much had been recovered, but many expensive items, including a $15,000 camera, were seized during the raids. The camera belonged to a photographer who was on his way to Africa and reported it stolen in San Francisco. “But truly, it was stolen in LAX,” Maltez said.
The thieves targeted bags that were traveling longer distances or had multiple transfers. Long-haul passengers, especially, often don’t see their bags for many hours and through multiple airports if they’re transferring.
“What happens is if they steal it here at LAX, by the time you get home you don’t know where these things were stolen,” Maltez said. “They know who to target.”
The suspects had undergone employment and criminal-background checks before they were authorized to work at the airport. But those checks are limited, and all the employees had minimal or non-existent arrest records, Maltez said.
Most of the police activity was at the Tom Bradley International Terminal and at Terminal 4, which handles American Airlines, American Eagle and some Qantas flights.
Every year about 55 million pieces of luggage are checked at LAX, which served nearly 67 million passengers last year.
Maltez said that while the airport is relatively safe, and theft isn’t rampant, “my advice to travelers is to be careful what you pack in your bags.”
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
(Photo Source: AP)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30