A North Louisiana Mayor has been charged with five counts of malfeasance.
The Shreveport Times reports:
Homer Mayor Alecia Smith was arrested late today on five counts of malfeasance in office. She surrendered to the sheriff’s office, posted a $25,000 bond and was released from custody, confirmed Claiborne Parish Sheriff Ken Bailey.
She was arrested by state police, which is the investigating agency, Bailey said.
Details of the charges filed against Smith were not immediately available. Troop G spokesman Brett Davis said he is waiting for additional information before distributing a news release.
Smith’s term has been fraught with turmoil, particularly when it comes to relations with the police department and Chief Russell Mills. The two have been at odds for years over funding and personnel issues. At least two attempts have been made to disband the department, the latest happening in December.
Smith made history in 2010 when she became the town’s first female mayor. She was appointed on a 3-2 vote to replace former Mayor David Newell following his resignation. She won election in the fall.
Politicians Doing Time for Their Crime
1. Former Congressman William Jefferson1 of 18
2. Former Detroit City Council President Monica Conyers2 of 18
3. Former Ohio State Representative W. Carlton Weddington3 of 18
4. Sisters of corruption -Jane Orie, Joan Orie Melvin and Janine Orie4 of 18
5. Former Alabama State Representative James Thomas5 of 18
6. Former Mississippi state prosecutor and judge Bobby DeLaughter6 of 18
7. Former New York State Senator Shirley Huntley7 of 18
8. Former Governor of Illinois and golden boy Rod Blagojevich8 of 18
9. Former Prince George's County Council member Leslie Johnson9 of 18
10. Former Prince County Executive Jack B. Johnson10 of 18
11. Former Birmingham Mayor Larry Langford11 of 18
12. Former Federal District Judge Samuel B. Kent (Texas)12 of 18
13. Former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin13 of 18
14. Former City Councilman Larry Seabrook14 of 18
15. Former New York State Senator Efrain Gonzalez15 of 18
16. Former Connecticut Governor John G. Rowland16 of 18
17. Former State Senator Dianne Wilkerson17 of 18
18. Current D.C. Council member Marion Barry18 of 18
(Photo Source: KTAL)