Ever heard of Connor Smallnut?
If you haven’t, get ready.
Connor Smallnut is Nick Cannon- Nick Cannon dressed in white face, a plaid shirt and a skull cap.
Connor Smallnut is the white character Nick Cannon is using as a stunt vehicle to promote his new album titled, “White People Party Music.” Cannon introduced the character on social media with photo writing, “It’s official… I’m White!!! He then followed up with #WHITEPEOPLEPARTYMUSIC #Wppm in stores April 1st!!!!!! Dude Go Get It!!! Join The Party!!!!
And then followed up with Twitter hashtags of things considered prevalent among white people #GoodCredit #DogKissing #BeerPong #FarmersMarkets #FistPumping #CreamCheeseEating #RacialDraft.
And finished with the quote, “Bro I got drafted!!”
Cue the backlash and faux outrage.
On Twitter someone wrote, “Kind of funny how Nick Cannon can put some makeup on and pretend to be white, but if that was reversed and a white person did it’s “racist”.
Another person wrote, “So Nick Cannon can put on white face and be considered hilarious. I put on black face and get called racist. Sweet haha #doublestandards”.
Yes, it is a double standard, and rightly so. Why? Very simply- because of slavery, because of Jim Crow, because of segregation. Because blackface was created to mock a group of people who had no power and to further stereotype them as animals, as monkeys and as less than human. Blackface was used as a way for white people to get jobs by performing as offensive representations of black people. Real black people never got the jobs. They just hired white people in blackface.
There are just some things you just don’t do- and without saying- everybody understands why. White people should never dress in blackface (Julianne Hough) just as NOBODY should ever dress as a Nazi or Hitler (Prince Harry). It’s just not funny.
What Nick Cannon did may be obnoxious or silly or immature or gimmicky. However, it is NOT racist. Not one white person I asked said they were offended by it. Not one white person will be mocked for it or will lose out on a job because Nick Cannon is playing a white person in his Instagram video.
And so far the person who has explained it better than any scholarly article I’ve read on the subject thus far, is none other than Howard Stern,“Who cares? No one. Why? Because we don’t have a history of white people being subjugated to slavery, whippings, hangings. It is a completely different thing and it is a double standard. And everyone who is complaining about it…he’s a racist. You’re the racist. You know you are. You’re just looking to pin it on him.”
Stern ended by saying if you don’t understand it, you’re a moron. I agree.
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
(Photo Source: PR Photos)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25