As women, we’re definitely drawn to films that illicit a variety of emotions. There’s nothing better than a movie that can make us cry, laugh, think and even influence our lives. It’s apparent that the past couple of years have proven to be exceptional for black films, black directors and especially black actors, but we can’t forget about some of the classics that helped pave the way. Now, I’m not claiming to be a movie expert, but there are five classic films that every woman should have in their collection or seen at least once.
Check out my five favorites below. What would you add to the list?
1. “What’s Love Got to Do With It?”
The iconic story of Tina Turner was brought to the forefront in the 1993 film, “What’s Love Got To Do With It.” Angela Bassett channeled the rock, soul singer and showed audiences the ups and downs of Tina Turner’s musical career and her tumultuous relationship with estranged husband, Ike Turner. Although most of us weren’t around to witness Tina Turner’s career at it’s peak, this film helped us feel like we didn’t miss a beat and took us back in time to the period of funk music and Rock & Roll. The film also brought domestic violence to everyone’s attention, making the uncomfortable topic more acceptable to discuss.
2. “Coming to America”
“Coming to America” is over 20 years old and still makes me laugh like it was just released. Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall as Prince Akeem and Semmi are classic! Sure, we all know the outcome of the story, but the jokes never get old.
Anyone who grew up outside of New York City, “Crooklyn” was a staple of how life in the Big Apple, and particularly Brooklyn, really was. The move follows a young girl named Troy, her school teacher mother, her sassy siblings and her musician father who all live in a brownstone in Bed-Stuy in the 1970s. This movie touched on everything from family issues to the racially divided atmosphere of the 1970s and will be a staple in black culture for years to come.
4. “Waiting to Exhale”
“Waiting to Exhale” is a movie that every woman has seen a million times, and I’m sure won’t mind seeing a million more. The story of four friends going through real life drama in relationships, family life, marriages, cheating, abortions and more was a huge hit in the 1990s and is still relatable today. This film was one of the first to introduce Black professional, independent women to the world and may have even helped some of us get through our own relationship woes. Not to mention the movie soundtrack has the jams!
5. “Set It Off”
“Set It Off” is another story of a sisterhood like bond between four independent Black women but instead of dealing with relationship and family drama, these women were running from the law. Although the story ended in tragedy, the film is a classic and even provides lessons that we can apply to our lives today.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30