As women, we’re definitely drawn to films that illicit a variety of emotions. There’s nothing better than a movie that can make us cry, laugh, think and even influence our lives. It’s apparent that the past couple of years have proven to be exceptional for black films, black directors and especially black actors, but we can’t forget about some of the classics that helped pave the way. Now, I’m not claiming to be a movie expert, but there are five classic films that every woman should have in their collection or seen at least once.
Check out my five favorites below. What would you add to the list?
1. “What’s Love Got to Do With It?”
The iconic story of Tina Turner was brought to the forefront in the 1993 film, “What’s Love Got To Do With It.” Angela Bassett channeled the rock, soul singer and showed audiences the ups and downs of Tina Turner’s musical career and her tumultuous relationship with estranged husband, Ike Turner. Although most of us weren’t around to witness Tina Turner’s career at it’s peak, this film helped us feel like we didn’t miss a beat and took us back in time to the period of funk music and Rock & Roll. The film also brought domestic violence to everyone’s attention, making the uncomfortable topic more acceptable to discuss.
2. “Coming to America”
“Coming to America” is over 20 years old and still makes me laugh like it was just released. Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall as Prince Akeem and Semmi are classic! Sure, we all know the outcome of the story, but the jokes never get old.
Anyone who grew up outside of New York City, “Crooklyn” was a staple of how life in the Big Apple, and particularly Brooklyn, really was. The move follows a young girl named Troy, her school teacher mother, her sassy siblings and her musician father who all live in a brownstone in Bed-Stuy in the 1970s. This movie touched on everything from family issues to the racially divided atmosphere of the 1970s and will be a staple in black culture for years to come.
4. “Waiting to Exhale”
“Waiting to Exhale” is a movie that every woman has seen a million times, and I’m sure won’t mind seeing a million more. The story of four friends going through real life drama in relationships, family life, marriages, cheating, abortions and more was a huge hit in the 1990s and is still relatable today. This film was one of the first to introduce Black professional, independent women to the world and may have even helped some of us get through our own relationship woes. Not to mention the movie soundtrack has the jams!
5. “Set It Off”
“Set It Off” is another story of a sisterhood like bond between four independent Black women but instead of dealing with relationship and family drama, these women were running from the law. Although the story ended in tragedy, the film is a classic and even provides lessons that we can apply to our lives today.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31