Cynthia Williams is suing her Doctor for a pregnancy she didn’t expect or want. While it may seem harsh and a tad strange, 44 year old Williams’ and her husband are “livid” that they are now the parents of a sick, four year old toddler — especially since her Doctor’s only task was to make sure her tubes were tied.
Both parents carry the sickle cell trait and after two kids born with the trait too, the couple decided against having anymore children. After using the rhythm method of birth control imagine their surprise when they found out they’d be parents for a third time. Originally upset, relief quickly set in when it was discovered that their baby was only a carrier of the deadly disease.
Soon after, Williams’ decided to get her tubes tied since the pill caused high blood pressure. She had the sterilization surgery in December 2008. But six months later, she was staring at the blue line on a pregnancy test in disbelief.
How could this happen? Especially considering the tube tethering her only ovary (she lost her right ovary to a cyst when she was 12) to her womb had been tied?
Her fourth child was born in February 2010 with sickle cell disease.
Now the Williams’ are suing Dr. Byron Rosner of Reproductive Health Associates, for wrongful pregnancy, claiming that he failed to perform an adequate or appropriate tubal ligation, resulting in an unplanned pregnancy and the birth of a sick child, according to the lawsuit.
ABC News reports:
Without a right ovary, Williams only needed her left Fallopian tube tied. But Rosner “tied,” “excised” and “cauterized” Williams’ right tube, according to medical records.
Do you think the parents have a right to sue? Was their decision to get a tubal ligation procedure selfish or smart? What would you have done?
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
(Photo Source: ABC News)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25