Georgia Bell (pictured) is 91 years old, and in 1946, she and her then-husband purchased a one-bedroom home for $850 in Lawrence, Kansas, right near the University of Kansas. Bell has raised six children at the 840-sq.-ft. home that is now falling apart. Now, a Chicago developer wants to buy Bell’s home so that his company can build a residential and retail complex and has reportedly, and over the course of a year, tried to convince the woman to take the $600,000 being offered to leave her residence, but according to The Kansas City Star, she has refused.
Bell’s home is located right near the edge of the University of Kansas’ campus. The developer, HERE LLC, wants to build a five-story modern residential and retail complex that consists of 156 student housing units with 18-foot ceilings, eateries, a fitness center, a rooftop garden, a swimming pool and the pièce de résistance automatic robotic parking structure that picks up and sets down vehicles.
The planned complex will be U-shaped and Bell’s dilapidated home sits smack dab in the middle of it — if she refuses to leave. If Bell continues to fight “progress,” her property will be surrounded by buildings.
The 98-pound senior did consider what having the extra cash would mean to her: new teeth and a vehicle to replace the 1987 Pontiac Sunbird she currently drives. Still, Bell worries about where she would go. Even though Bell, who has 17 parakeets and is a Mother, she does not want to live with her children.
The elderly woman values her independence and enjoys living on her own, and she particularly enjoys taking out the garbage, she told The Kansas City Star. Bell told the news outlet, “I done broke the ice here and now they want to sweep me out,” she said. “I got nowhere to go and it’s like I don’t matter.”
Can the city force Bell out of the comfort of her four walls?
Lawrence officials and the developer, Jim Heffernan, do not want to force Bell out of her home through eminent domain, which is a right of a government to take private property for public use. According to Heffernan, who spoke to the Kansas City Star, his company does not want to bully Bell out of her residence, “We have no desire for that,” he contends.
Bell’s home, which has a market value of about $93,500. is reportedly falling apart. The home’s siding is rotting and pulling away, there is a plywood patch on the kitchen floor, and the roof leaks and sags. In addition, the front door lacks a header, so Bell stuffs a towel in to the space to try to keep the cold air out.
Hopefully, the nonagenarian will decide her fate soon as construction is scheduled to begin on the complex later this year.
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25
Continue reading Developers Offer 91-Year-Old Woman $600K For Her 1 Bedroom Home, She Refuses To Sell