Georgia Bell (pictured) is 91 years old, and in 1946, she and her then-husband purchased a one-bedroom home for $850 in Lawrence, Kansas, right near the University of Kansas. Bell has raised six children at the 840-sq.-ft. home that is now falling apart. Now, a Chicago developer wants to buy Bell’s home so that his company can build a residential and retail complex and has reportedly, and over the course of a year, tried to convince the woman to take the $600,000 being offered to leave her residence, but according to The Kansas City Star, she has refused.
Bell’s home is located right near the edge of the University of Kansas’ campus. The developer, HERE LLC, wants to build a five-story modern residential and retail complex that consists of 156 student housing units with 18-foot ceilings, eateries, a fitness center, a rooftop garden, a swimming pool and the pièce de résistance automatic robotic parking structure that picks up and sets down vehicles.
The planned complex will be U-shaped and Bell’s dilapidated home sits smack dab in the middle of it — if she refuses to leave. If Bell continues to fight “progress,” her property will be surrounded by buildings.
The 98-pound senior did consider what having the extra cash would mean to her: new teeth and a vehicle to replace the 1987 Pontiac Sunbird she currently drives. Still, Bell worries about where she would go. Even though Bell, who has 17 parakeets and is a Mother, she does not want to live with her children.
The elderly woman values her independence and enjoys living on her own, and she particularly enjoys taking out the garbage, she told The Kansas City Star. Bell told the news outlet, “I done broke the ice here and now they want to sweep me out,” she said. “I got nowhere to go and it’s like I don’t matter.”
Can the city force Bell out of the comfort of her four walls?
Lawrence officials and the developer, Jim Heffernan, do not want to force Bell out of her home through eminent domain, which is a right of a government to take private property for public use. According to Heffernan, who spoke to the Kansas City Star, his company does not want to bully Bell out of her residence, “We have no desire for that,” he contends.
Bell’s home, which has a market value of about $93,500. is reportedly falling apart. The home’s siding is rotting and pulling away, there is a plywood patch on the kitchen floor, and the roof leaks and sags. In addition, the front door lacks a header, so Bell stuffs a towel in to the space to try to keep the cold air out.
Hopefully, the nonagenarian will decide her fate soon as construction is scheduled to begin on the complex later this year.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading Developers Offer 91-Year-Old Woman $600K For Her 1 Bedroom Home, She Refuses To Sell