That is the million dollar question. It has been two weeks since Malaysian Flight 370 disappeared, and now there are signs that they may have found pieces of it off the Australian coast. How in this day and age with all the technology- satellites, cameras, radar, cellphones- can something as big as a 777 airplane just go missing for 13 days?
It simply defies logic.
The story understandably has gripped the world. I’ve been reporting on it on CNN since it first went missing. People stop me on the street asking about that plane. Whenever I’m on the air reporting the story, my twitter feed trends worldwide; meaning it’s one of the top things people are tweeting about in the world. I’ve never seen anything like it. When I ask psychologists about it they say it’s because, number one, it’s a mystery. Even in our sleeping hours our brains are constantly trying to solve problems and are not satisfied until it does. This problem has not been solved.
And number two, it’s relatable.
Most of us fly, if not frequently for business, we do it a few times a year for holidays or vacations. So, we put ourselves in the shoes of the passengers. My colleague Sally Kohn wrote this on CNN.com: “Stories about death inherently hold our attention. The more dark among us — and HBO producers — might attribute this to a lust for the gruesome. Freud would simply call it our “death drive” — that mix of fear and fascination that our lives must ultimately end.”
I agree with her. It’s more often than not the dark shows like The Walking Dead –zombies- or True Blood- vampires- or Dexter-serial killers-that garner the biggest ratings and cult followings. And let’s not forget The X Files, The Twilight Zone and so on. That’s all well and good. Not to bring you down, we must remember that there are at least 239 families who are grieving. There are mothers who are in anguish. One of them stepped in front of cameras earlier this week and cried and pleaded with the Malaysian government to tell her what happened to her son. We must hold that top of mind when we’re trying to figure out this conundrum.
One man’s mystery is another man or woman’s misery.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading The Fascination Surrounding The Disappearance of The Malaysia Airlines Plane