That is the million dollar question. It has been two weeks since Malaysian Flight 370 disappeared, and now there are signs that they may have found pieces of it off the Australian coast. How in this day and age with all the technology- satellites, cameras, radar, cellphones- can something as big as a 777 airplane just go missing for 13 days?
It simply defies logic.
The story understandably has gripped the world. I’ve been reporting on it on CNN since it first went missing. People stop me on the street asking about that plane. Whenever I’m on the air reporting the story, my twitter feed trends worldwide; meaning it’s one of the top things people are tweeting about in the world. I’ve never seen anything like it. When I ask psychologists about it they say it’s because, number one, it’s a mystery. Even in our sleeping hours our brains are constantly trying to solve problems and are not satisfied until it does. This problem has not been solved.
And number two, it’s relatable.
Most of us fly, if not frequently for business, we do it a few times a year for holidays or vacations. So, we put ourselves in the shoes of the passengers. My colleague Sally Kohn wrote this on CNN.com: “Stories about death inherently hold our attention. The more dark among us — and HBO producers — might attribute this to a lust for the gruesome. Freud would simply call it our “death drive” — that mix of fear and fascination that our lives must ultimately end.”
I agree with her. It’s more often than not the dark shows like The Walking Dead –zombies- or True Blood- vampires- or Dexter-serial killers-that garner the biggest ratings and cult followings. And let’s not forget The X Files, The Twilight Zone and so on. That’s all well and good. Not to bring you down, we must remember that there are at least 239 families who are grieving. There are mothers who are in anguish. One of them stepped in front of cameras earlier this week and cried and pleaded with the Malaysian government to tell her what happened to her son. We must hold that top of mind when we’re trying to figure out this conundrum.
One man’s mystery is another man or woman’s misery.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading The Fascination Surrounding The Disappearance of The Malaysia Airlines Plane