90’s TV star Countess Vaughn has come forward about her shocking and almost deadly experience wearing the popular lace front wig. She appeared on “The Doctors” to share her story and raise awareness about the unexpected issues she faced.
“In 2004, my hairstylist introduced me to lace-front wigs and I fell in love with them, immediately,” she said.
The love affair quickly ended when she realized that something wasn’t quite right.
“Five years later the drama came in. The red flag was the oozing from my ears, forehead, the whole nape around my head,” she said. “The pus had a horrible smell and it was painful. I let it go by for six months.”
She continued with:
“What I did not realize, I had a bad reaction to the glue I used to apply the wig. My hair started to fall out.”
After noticing the effects and becoming seriously confused she sought help.
“I went to the dermatologist but he did not let me know the long-term effects of the infection,” she said. “I have skin discoloration and people assume I have vitiligo. I use makeup to cover up, especially the skin under my eyes. Skin came off of my ears. I draw in my hairline with an eye pencil.”
Experts say that the high toxic levels of hair glue can even cause death, due to allergic reactions.