A Florida judge ruled that Keenan Finkelstein, 24, will not be able to use the state’s controversial Stand Your Ground law to get charges dropped for shooting a deputy, reports PNJ.com.
On March 20, 2013, Officer Sedrick Johnson was responding to a robbery call when he approached the home of suspect Jonathan Chappell, 24. Finkelstein admits to smoking marijuana and drinking with Chappell right before the shooting.
Johnson claims that he walked from behind a tree and announced that he was a police officer when Finkelstein exited the garage. Police claim that Finkelstein then pulled out his gun and shot Johnson before attempting to flee. But Finkelstein tells a different story.
Read more from RT.com:
Johnson said that he saw someone, later identified as Finkelstein, come out of the home’s garage. Johnson said he came from behind the tree with his weapon drawn while announcing himself to be an employee of the Sheriff’s Office and for Finkelstein to show his hands.
Johnson said that Finkelstein then ducked, reached for his waistband, drew a pistol and shot him in the left leg.
On Friday, Gaddy said Finkelstein — gripped in paranoia from smoking marijuana — shot Johnson, who then returned fire as he ran back across the yard toward a porch for cover.
“The last thing Sgt. Johnson wanted was to get shot that night,” Gaddy said. “There’s no evidence that shows Sgt. Johnson goes around firing his gun at unarmed people.”
But Finkelstein attorney Ralph Parnell III said that story was flawed.
Johnson, he said, had not announced that he was a law enforcement officer when he told Finkelstein to show his hands. Parnell backed his argument with discrepancies between Johnson’s testimony, deposition and another deputies’ depositions.
The lack of notification combined with the fact that Johnson was wearing his dark green deputy’s uniform in a poorly lit area at night and that he was pointing a flashlight — attached to the barrel of a gun no less — at Finkelstein’s face made it impossible to identify him as a law enforcement officer, Parnell said.
He said Johnson was simply a “disembodied voice in the dark” at that point.
“I would argue at that point (Johnson) has committed an aggravated assault himself,” Parnell said. “He was in a dicey situation of his own making.”
Finkelstein’s trial is set to begin in early April.
Read more at PNJ.com.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30