When you think of the word “feminist,” who comes to mind?
A thought provoking article in the latest issue of EBONY explores how the Internet, particularly social media, has played a large role in expanding and including the feminist image firmly within the Black community. With the media’s barriers to entry having been drastically lowered thanks to the bullhorn effect of #BlackTwitter and other strength-in-number tactics that are impossible to ignore, so individuals of all genders are eagerly stepping up to the mic.
“Black Twitter” is routinely buzzing with debates that go beyond the trite Mars/Venus politicking and instead finds women and men engaged in deep conversations about how gender impacts equality, access and freedom,” writes EBONY.com Senior Editor Jamilah Lemieux.
“Is feminism simply the latest hot topic, or are we witnessing the beginning of a new Black liberation movement?”
At the crux of this examination is Beyoncé and her recent self-titled album, an art work that has been widely disputed and celebrated for its unapologetically sexual and women-focused subject matter.
Lemieux claims that the star’s public engagement with the word “feminist” has led to “rapid-fire discussion” and “dynamic dialogue” on platforms like Twitter and Facebook. The most notable moment of explicit feminism appeared in “****Flawless”, a southern hip hop track featuring a powerful sample from Chimamanda Ngozi Adighie’s TEDx talk “Why We Should All Be Feminists.”
With much of the recent thought pieces around pop star feminism having been inspired by Mrs. Carter’s seemingly sexual awakening, Lemieux also makes sure to credit a number of influential Black women musicians who paved the way for Bey, such as pop phenomenon Janet Jackson, Blues godmothers Bessie Smith and Ma Rainey, the fierce folk tunes of Odetta and rock goddesses Betty Davis and Grace Jones.
There’s also the new school of “boldly Black feminist thought spreading via big and small screens,” Lemieux added in reference to CNN’s Marc Lamont Hill, MSNBC’s Joy Reid and Goldie Taylor and the a host of other brilliant scholars, professionals and activist women of power who have taken to digital platforms to advocate gender equality.
But, the most interesting wave of Black feminists who have emerged in the digital space are those women traditionally marginalized and restricted from mainstream discussion.
Brittney Cooper, assistant professor in the Department of Women’s and Gender Studies at Rutgers University and Crunk Feminist Collective co-founder told EBONY that she thinks “Black feminism is in one of the strongest moments it has seen in a while.”
“From Melissa Harris-Perry on MSNBC, to Laverne Cox on ‘Orange Is the New Black’ to Beyoncé…we have prominent Black women identifying publicly with the term,” said Cooper. “There is also a robust crop of young Black feminists online who keep pushing the conversation forward, doing activist work in communities and generally taking no prisoners when it comes to racism and sexism.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31