When you think of the word “feminist,” who comes to mind?
A thought provoking article in the latest issue of EBONY explores how the Internet, particularly social media, has played a large role in expanding and including the feminist image firmly within the Black community. With the media’s barriers to entry having been drastically lowered thanks to the bullhorn effect of #BlackTwitter and other strength-in-number tactics that are impossible to ignore, so individuals of all genders are eagerly stepping up to the mic.
“Black Twitter” is routinely buzzing with debates that go beyond the trite Mars/Venus politicking and instead finds women and men engaged in deep conversations about how gender impacts equality, access and freedom,” writes EBONY.com Senior Editor Jamilah Lemieux.
“Is feminism simply the latest hot topic, or are we witnessing the beginning of a new Black liberation movement?”
At the crux of this examination is Beyoncé and her recent self-titled album, an art work that has been widely disputed and celebrated for its unapologetically sexual and women-focused subject matter.
Lemieux claims that the star’s public engagement with the word “feminist” has led to “rapid-fire discussion” and “dynamic dialogue” on platforms like Twitter and Facebook. The most notable moment of explicit feminism appeared in “****Flawless”, a southern hip hop track featuring a powerful sample from Chimamanda Ngozi Adighie’s TEDx talk “Why We Should All Be Feminists.”
With much of the recent thought pieces around pop star feminism having been inspired by Mrs. Carter’s seemingly sexual awakening, Lemieux also makes sure to credit a number of influential Black women musicians who paved the way for Bey, such as pop phenomenon Janet Jackson, Blues godmothers Bessie Smith and Ma Rainey, the fierce folk tunes of Odetta and rock goddesses Betty Davis and Grace Jones.
There’s also the new school of “boldly Black feminist thought spreading via big and small screens,” Lemieux added in reference to CNN’s Marc Lamont Hill, MSNBC’s Joy Reid and Goldie Taylor and the a host of other brilliant scholars, professionals and activist women of power who have taken to digital platforms to advocate gender equality.
But, the most interesting wave of Black feminists who have emerged in the digital space are those women traditionally marginalized and restricted from mainstream discussion.
Brittney Cooper, assistant professor in the Department of Women’s and Gender Studies at Rutgers University and Crunk Feminist Collective co-founder told EBONY that she thinks “Black feminism is in one of the strongest moments it has seen in a while.”
“From Melissa Harris-Perry on MSNBC, to Laverne Cox on ‘Orange Is the New Black’ to Beyoncé…we have prominent Black women identifying publicly with the term,” said Cooper. “There is also a robust crop of young Black feminists online who keep pushing the conversation forward, doing activist work in communities and generally taking no prisoners when it comes to racism and sexism.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25