“HBCUs are an integral part of our country’s higher education system and history of African Americans,” said Taylor. “’I Love My HBCU’ Month will shine a light on these great institutions and the impact they make in preparing future leaders of tomorrow.”
TMCF hopes National “I Love My HBCU” Month will be an annual month-long celebration of Historically Black Colleges and Universities. In 2012, the organization began the process to formally establish the month of March each year as a period to increase awareness and appreciation of HBCUs in the United States and to unite HBCU communities nationwide.
HBCUs have played a vital role in the U.S. since they were formed in 1837 as higher educational institutions designed to educate former slaves. These institutions, primarily serving African American students, have produced a commendable record of accomplished and famous HBCU graduates such as Justice Thurgood Marshall, poet Langston Hughes, Martin Luther King Jr. and Oprah Winfrey.
“I Love My HBCU” Awareness Month will be observed nationally during the month of March in remembrance of many important people and events in the HBCUs history as well as to highlight contributions HBCUs have played in shaping its graduates. The Thurgood Marshall College Fund created and owns the theme, slogan, resources and materials for the national “I Love My HBCU” campaign. Each year, with assistance from HBCUs, students, alumni, fraternities, and sororities and other HBCU supporting organizations nationwide, TMCF will coordinate activities to raise awareness about the month and its significance.
“Our HBCU founders had the foresight to build such great institutions for African American students that have continued to produce noted public figures from the first African-American U.S. Supreme Court Justice, to four-star generals and congressmen to prominent CEOs,” said Taylor. “It is only fitting for TMCF to launch such an annual awareness campaign to honor Historically Black Colleges and Universities.”
Let us know what you think about National “I Love My HBCU” Month. Will you be celebrating this month? If so, how will you celebrate?
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Did You Know: March Is HBCU Awareness Month