“HBCUs are an integral part of our country’s higher education system and history of African Americans,” said Taylor. “’I Love My HBCU’ Month will shine a light on these great institutions and the impact they make in preparing future leaders of tomorrow.”
TMCF hopes National “I Love My HBCU” Month will be an annual month-long celebration of Historically Black Colleges and Universities. In 2012, the organization began the process to formally establish the month of March each year as a period to increase awareness and appreciation of HBCUs in the United States and to unite HBCU communities nationwide.
HBCUs have played a vital role in the U.S. since they were formed in 1837 as higher educational institutions designed to educate former slaves. These institutions, primarily serving African American students, have produced a commendable record of accomplished and famous HBCU graduates such as Justice Thurgood Marshall, poet Langston Hughes, Martin Luther King Jr. and Oprah Winfrey.
“I Love My HBCU” Awareness Month will be observed nationally during the month of March in remembrance of many important people and events in the HBCUs history as well as to highlight contributions HBCUs have played in shaping its graduates. The Thurgood Marshall College Fund created and owns the theme, slogan, resources and materials for the national “I Love My HBCU” campaign. Each year, with assistance from HBCUs, students, alumni, fraternities, and sororities and other HBCU supporting organizations nationwide, TMCF will coordinate activities to raise awareness about the month and its significance.
“Our HBCU founders had the foresight to build such great institutions for African American students that have continued to produce noted public figures from the first African-American U.S. Supreme Court Justice, to four-star generals and congressmen to prominent CEOs,” said Taylor. “It is only fitting for TMCF to launch such an annual awareness campaign to honor Historically Black Colleges and Universities.”
Let us know what you think about National “I Love My HBCU” Month. Will you be celebrating this month? If so, how will you celebrate?
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading Did You Know: March Is HBCU Awareness Month