After a few days – 30 hours total – of deliberation, a Florida jury found Michael Dunn guilty of three counts of attempted murder and another count stemming from his shooting into a car full of teenagers, an incident which led to the death of 17-year-old Jordan Davis. Jurors didn’t, however, convict Dunn of murder for killing Davis.
It was a verdict that left many shocked, confused and wondering what’s next for Michael Dunn and efforts to seek justice for Davis and his family.
Soon after the verdict, Florida State Attorney Angela Corey said her office would seek a new trial for the murder charge.
“Justice for Jordan Davis is as important as it is for any victim,” Corey told members of the media.
As it stands, Dunn will face a lengthy prison sentence. Each of his three attempted second-degree murder convictions carries a minimum sentence of 20 years. The judge can decide whether those sentences will run consecutively or concurrently.
“You are looking basically at life in prison,” Dunn’s attorney said. “At 47 years old, that’s a life sentence regardless of count one.”
Still, many are not satisfied with what they perceive as a failure of the justice system to hold Dunn accountable for killing Davis. Many are placing blame at the feet of State Attorney Corey, who became a controversial figure in the wake of the George Zimmerman trial for the murder of Trayvon Martin. Corey’s detractors claim both Zimmerman and Dunn were able to escape murder convictions because they were improperly charged with first-degree murder by Corey.
After the Dunn’s verdict was announced, dozens of demonstrators reportedly led a march from the Duval County Courthouse to Corey’s office, demanding that she step down or be removed from office. Corey’s office has not responded to calls for her resignation.
In the meantime, the public is awaiting Dunn’s sentencing in late March. During the sentencing, the judge could also announce a date for the re-trial, which legal analysts say could take place by early summer.
Tuesday morning, Roland Martin caught up with attorney and television legal analyst Midwin Charles to discuss the Dunn verdict and what’s next. Listen below.
Be sure to listen to “NewsOne Now” with Roland Martin, weekdays at 7 a.m. EST and watch at 9 a.m. EST on TV One.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell