Yes, Jamie Foxx is known as an award-winning actor and a singer, but his origins as a comedian come through in his impersonations, from President Obama, to Prince to his recent one of Richard Sherman.
But Saturday in the Carol City area of Miami Gardens, FL, where NewsOne was on the scene, the particular impersonation he did related to his growing passion for activism. In front of hundreds gathered after a peace walk organized by the parents of slain teen Trayvon Martin (who would have been 19 this past February 5 had he lived) Foxx broke out the uniquely gravely voice of activist and singer Harry Belafonte. He did it while recounting how the civil rights great had inspired him to leverage his fame to fight for what’s right. After coming home from WWII, “‘I couldn’t vote. I didn’t have any rights. So myself, Julian, Jesse, Martin, we marched,’” Foxx recalled Belafonte telling him, adding, “And I said, hold on Mr. Belafonte, you’re saying [those names] like it’s a boy band group.”
Listen below starting at the 2:55 mark to hear if he did Belfonte justice. Belafonte’s daughter Gina, who was in attendance, appeared to be just as amused as the rest of the crowd.
In addition to Trayvon Martin’s family (including father Tracy Martin, mother Sybrina Fulton, and brother Jahvaris Fulton) others seated on the stage and in the audience had the common cause of seeking justice in headline-making legal cases. They included parents of Kendrick Johnson, who died after being found in a gym mat; the ex-wife of Marlon Brown, who died underneath a police cruiser; as well as relatives of Oscar Grant (whose death was depicted in “Fruitvale Station”) and Emmett Till, whose 1955 lynching shocked a nation. Radio personality Michael Baisden also addressed the crowd, as did attorney Benjamin Crump, who represents the families of Martin, Johnson and Brown.
Foxx, who later invited all of them to speak during an afternoon taping of his Sirius radio show, “The Foxxhole,” closed his Belafonte anecdote by affirming his support of Martin’s family and their work promoting the well-being of young people. “[Belafonte] said to me, are you going to be young and fly, or are you going to do something? And what I’ve done pales in comparison with what he did. But Tracy, Sybrina, Javaris — I told them — ‘You’ve got me for life.’”
Sunday evening, Foxx, Baisden and Michael Eric Dyson will be among the honorees at a Trayvon Martin Remembrance Dinner in Davies, FL near Miami. The proceeds will be for the Trayvon Martin Foundation.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25