In Minnesota, African-American babies are twice as likely as Whites to die in their first year, African-American men are more likely to die from prostate cancer than Whites, and stroke deaths are significantly higher among African-American, American-Indian, and Asian populations compared to Whites.
These and other racial gaps in the health of Minnesotans have been recorded in a new report prepared for the legislature, with health officials warning that the state must tackle the deeply entrenched problems if it is to close what are some of the greatest racial health disparities in the United States, the Star Tribune reports.
State Health Commissioner Dr. Edward Ehlinger says part of the blame can be laid at the feet of “structural racism,” which, he said, all Minnesotans must confront in order to bridge the gap, “Everybody is damaged by health disparities.”
Ehlinger cited the Health Department’s own radon testing program as an example of deep institutional health barriers. The program educates homeowners to test their houses for the chemical, which can cause lung cancer, but only one-fifth of Black residents own their own homes in Minnesota — compared to 75 percent of White residents. This means that Blacks are less likely to be reached by the program, and as renters, less likely to be able to install radon remediation systems where they live.
In reaction, the report is suggesting extensive reforms, including raising the state minimum wage — because health is linked to poverty — and changes in state education, housing, and transit policies.
“It’s an issue that cannot be resolved just by the medical care system.”
In addition to presenting their findings to legislators, health officials plan to establish a Health Department center focusing on “health equity” and to meet with concerned parties across the state. The Health Department will even evaluate itself for structural racism and work to recruit and hire more people of color.
The findings show major race-based differences in nearly every major disease condition in Minnesota the department tracks:
• African-American men are more likely to die from prostate cancer than White men.
• American Indians have much higher rates of diabetes than Whites; Latinos are much more likely than Whites to die from diabetes.
• Stroke deaths are significantly higher among African-American, American Indian, and Asian populations compared to Whites.
• American-Indian, Latino, and African-American youth have the highest rates of obesity.
• African-American and Latina women are more likely to be diagnosed with later-stage breast cancer.
Whether the findings will lead to action by lawmakers remains unclear. Rep. Jim Abeler, an Anoka Republican who is a leading voice on health policy, told the Tribune that he agrees the state needs to do more to reduce its health disparities but said blaming structural racism is misguided.
“They would rather study a problem than to do anything about it,” he said told the Tribune. “It’s not [about] creating new programs. There’s a lot of programs; you’ve just got to make sure that they’re directed toward the greatest needs.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25