Piles of snow, violent winds, icy roads and freezing temperatures: We can’t control the weather. Sometimes, it’s difficult to even adequately predict it, regardless if you’re at home, at work, or somewhere in-between.
Thankfully, there are some important steps you can take to help stay safe. And warm. And dry. And calm.
Prepare Your Home
When temperatures start declining into the single digits (and below), pipes are at risk for freezing. Frozen pipes mean no water. You can help keep your water running insulating your pipes with foam. Additionally, if freezing temperatures are predicted, let the water run in your faucets (a slow drip is fine).
Other home safety measure you can take include:
- Prepare a list of emergency numbers and post them somewhere convenient
- Make sure you have candles and flashlights avaiable
- Have extra cell phone chargers on hand
- Stock up on blankets and sleeping bags
- Stock up on extra batteries
- Buy a battery-operated radio
- Buy a kerosene heater (and fuel)
- Stock up on emergency wood (if you have a fireplace
Speaking of cell phones, here’s another tip: unless you have a battery operated cell phone charger, turn your cell phone off so you can make emergency calls, if necessary.
Work From Home
When the weather conditions are dangerous, you’re often better off just working from home. So, if it is at all possible, this may be your best winter storm safety option.
However, if you absolutely must travel to work:
- Try to monitor the weather and travel ahead of a predicted storm
- Stock up on food and water
- Have a sleeping bag, pillows and blankets available
- Bring extra clothes
Stock Up On Food & Medicine
It’s important to have at least enough food, water medical supplies and toiletry items (such as toothpaste, soap and shampoo) for every member of your household to eat for at least two weeks. Make a list of the items that everyone needs (including any pets), and try to shop for them as far in advance as possible to better avoid crowds – and empty shelves. Remember that canned and dry foods tend to be the best options (make sure you own a few can openers). You should also have several gallons of water on hand.
Additionally, to better prepare food during a power outage, you may want to invest in a camping stove, fuel canisters and a cooler (to pack with snow or ice to help keep food fresh).
Monitor Your Limbs (Especially Fingers & Toes)
Dangerous symptoms of cold weather, particularly frostbite, is a serious reality during a storm (and in cold weather conditions in general)
It should go without saying that you need to wear warm-weather clothing during winter, including gloves, a hat, thick socks, boots that protect against cold and snow, and a suitable winter coat. But it’s also very important to monitor your body, particularly your limbs, for signs of trouble.
What is frostbite? Essentially, it’s a medical condition where damage is caused to skin and other tissues due to freezing. Frostbite is most likely to happen in body parts farthest from the heart and those with large exposed areas. The initial stages of frostbite are sometimes called frostnip. After prolonged cold exposure, ice crystals form on skin cells, eventually killing them.
The two main stages of frostbite are:
1 2Next page »
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31