Piles of snow, violent winds, icy roads and freezing temperatures: We can’t control the weather. Sometimes, it’s difficult to even adequately predict it, regardless if you’re at home, at work, or somewhere in-between.
Thankfully, there are some important steps you can take to help stay safe. And warm. And dry. And calm.
Prepare Your Home
When temperatures start declining into the single digits (and below), pipes are at risk for freezing. Frozen pipes mean no water. You can help keep your water running insulating your pipes with foam. Additionally, if freezing temperatures are predicted, let the water run in your faucets (a slow drip is fine).
Other home safety measure you can take include:
- Prepare a list of emergency numbers and post them somewhere convenient
- Make sure you have candles and flashlights avaiable
- Have extra cell phone chargers on hand
- Stock up on blankets and sleeping bags
- Stock up on extra batteries
- Buy a battery-operated radio
- Buy a kerosene heater (and fuel)
- Stock up on emergency wood (if you have a fireplace
Speaking of cell phones, here’s another tip: unless you have a battery operated cell phone charger, turn your cell phone off so you can make emergency calls, if necessary.
Work From Home
When the weather conditions are dangerous, you’re often better off just working from home. So, if it is at all possible, this may be your best winter storm safety option.
However, if you absolutely must travel to work:
- Try to monitor the weather and travel ahead of a predicted storm
- Stock up on food and water
- Have a sleeping bag, pillows and blankets available
- Bring extra clothes
Stock Up On Food & Medicine
It’s important to have at least enough food, water medical supplies and toiletry items (such as toothpaste, soap and shampoo) for every member of your household to eat for at least two weeks. Make a list of the items that everyone needs (including any pets), and try to shop for them as far in advance as possible to better avoid crowds – and empty shelves. Remember that canned and dry foods tend to be the best options (make sure you own a few can openers). You should also have several gallons of water on hand.
Additionally, to better prepare food during a power outage, you may want to invest in a camping stove, fuel canisters and a cooler (to pack with snow or ice to help keep food fresh).
Monitor Your Limbs (Especially Fingers & Toes)
Dangerous symptoms of cold weather, particularly frostbite, is a serious reality during a storm (and in cold weather conditions in general)
It should go without saying that you need to wear warm-weather clothing during winter, including gloves, a hat, thick socks, boots that protect against cold and snow, and a suitable winter coat. But it’s also very important to monitor your body, particularly your limbs, for signs of trouble.
What is frostbite? Essentially, it’s a medical condition where damage is caused to skin and other tissues due to freezing. Frostbite is most likely to happen in body parts farthest from the heart and those with large exposed areas. The initial stages of frostbite are sometimes called frostnip. After prolonged cold exposure, ice crystals form on skin cells, eventually killing them.
The two main stages of frostbite are:
1 2Next page »
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30