CHICAGO (AP) — Former Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley was hospitalized in an intensive care unit Saturday after feeling ill the night before while returning to Illinois from a business trip in Arizona.
Daley had complained several times Friday that he was feeling ill and disoriented during a conference he attended in Arizona as part of his work for the law firm Katten Muchin Rosenman, said his longtime spokeswoman, Jackie Heard. When the conference was over, Daley flew back to Chicago and his family arranged to have an ambulance take him directly to Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
The 71-year-old Daley has maintained an active schedule since leaving office in 2011 and exercises regularly, even while traveling, Heard said.
“Mayor Daley has been a very healthy man and he rarely complains of feeling ill. So for him to complain more than once about not feeling quite right, of course that causes alarm,” Heard said.
Daley walked off the plane in Chicago before getting into the ambulance, Heard said.
Daley remained in the hospital’s intensive care unit Saturday for “monitoring and evaluation,” according to a statement released by his family.
Members of the family were with him and visiting the former mayor between tests, the statement said.
No other information on his condition or treatment was released. A spokeswoman for the hospital would not comment beyond the family’s statement.
His hospitalization occurred just hours after Daley’s nephew pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter in the 2004 death of a man during a fight outside of a Chicago bar.
Heard said she believed Daley already was complaining about feeling ill before he learned of the developments in court Friday and that she does not think the news caused him to feel unwell.
Under the plea deal with a special prosecutor, Richard J. Vanecko was sentenced Friday to 60 days in a county jail followed by 60 days of home confinement.
The investigation by a special prosecutor followed a series of stories in the Chicago Sun-Times that raised questions about whether Chicago police and Cook County prosecutors mishandled the original case. The victim’s family contended there was a police cover-up because of Vanecko’s relationship to Daley.
Daley has been hospitalized at least two other times since 2000, when he was examined by doctors because of mild chest pains. He was also hospitalized in 2002 along with his wife because they were both suffering from severe stomach flu.
Chicago’s longest serving mayor with 22 years in office, Daley is credited with giving the city a face lift with new green spaces, a revived theater district, the transformation of Navy Pier into a colorful playground and the creation of Millennium Park.
He stunned the city when he announced in late 2010 that he would not seek a seventh term. About six months after Daley left office, his wife, Maggie, who had been diagnosed with breast cancer in 2002, died on Thanksgiving Day. Daley was succeeded by Rahm Emanuel, who left his job as White House chief of staff to return to Chicago and successfully run for mayor.
Daley is the son of Chicago’s second longest-serving mayor. Richard J. Daley died while in office, at age 74, of a heart attack in 1976.
(AP Photo: In this Monday, June 10, 2013 file photo, former Chicago Mayor Richard Daley places his cap over his heart during the national anthem before a baseball game between the Chicago White Sox and the Toronto Blue Jays.)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30