CHICAGO (AP) — Former Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley was hospitalized in an intensive care unit Saturday after feeling ill the night before while returning to Illinois from a business trip in Arizona.
Daley had complained several times Friday that he was feeling ill and disoriented during a conference he attended in Arizona as part of his work for the law firm Katten Muchin Rosenman, said his longtime spokeswoman, Jackie Heard. When the conference was over, Daley flew back to Chicago and his family arranged to have an ambulance take him directly to Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
The 71-year-old Daley has maintained an active schedule since leaving office in 2011 and exercises regularly, even while traveling, Heard said.
“Mayor Daley has been a very healthy man and he rarely complains of feeling ill. So for him to complain more than once about not feeling quite right, of course that causes alarm,” Heard said.
Daley walked off the plane in Chicago before getting into the ambulance, Heard said.
Daley remained in the hospital’s intensive care unit Saturday for “monitoring and evaluation,” according to a statement released by his family.
Members of the family were with him and visiting the former mayor between tests, the statement said.
No other information on his condition or treatment was released. A spokeswoman for the hospital would not comment beyond the family’s statement.
His hospitalization occurred just hours after Daley’s nephew pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter in the 2004 death of a man during a fight outside of a Chicago bar.
Heard said she believed Daley already was complaining about feeling ill before he learned of the developments in court Friday and that she does not think the news caused him to feel unwell.
Under the plea deal with a special prosecutor, Richard J. Vanecko was sentenced Friday to 60 days in a county jail followed by 60 days of home confinement.
The investigation by a special prosecutor followed a series of stories in the Chicago Sun-Times that raised questions about whether Chicago police and Cook County prosecutors mishandled the original case. The victim’s family contended there was a police cover-up because of Vanecko’s relationship to Daley.
Daley has been hospitalized at least two other times since 2000, when he was examined by doctors because of mild chest pains. He was also hospitalized in 2002 along with his wife because they were both suffering from severe stomach flu.
Chicago’s longest serving mayor with 22 years in office, Daley is credited with giving the city a face lift with new green spaces, a revived theater district, the transformation of Navy Pier into a colorful playground and the creation of Millennium Park.
He stunned the city when he announced in late 2010 that he would not seek a seventh term. About six months after Daley left office, his wife, Maggie, who had been diagnosed with breast cancer in 2002, died on Thanksgiving Day. Daley was succeeded by Rahm Emanuel, who left his job as White House chief of staff to return to Chicago and successfully run for mayor.
Daley is the son of Chicago’s second longest-serving mayor. Richard J. Daley died while in office, at age 74, of a heart attack in 1976.
(AP Photo: In this Monday, June 10, 2013 file photo, former Chicago Mayor Richard Daley places his cap over his heart during the national anthem before a baseball game between the Chicago White Sox and the Toronto Blue Jays.)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31