Though ex-Detroit mayor Kwame Kilpatrick has been sentenced to 20 years in the slammer for extortion, bribery, conspiracy and other crimes during his years in office, he still has an active group of supporters who feel he has been railroaded by the system.
In an effort to help the former superstar politico fight his federal conviction, a trust has been set up to finance his legal defense efforts, Fox 2 News Detroit reports. The “Freedom and Justice Trust” at www.freedomjusticetrust.com, chaired by his mother, former U.S. congresswoman Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, aims to “raise money to free Kwame Kilpatrick from prison, and support efforts to realize justice in his legal fight.”
Many believe that Cheeks Kilpatrick lost her congressional seat, in part, because of her support of her son. This video below sealed the deal for many voters in her district:
Kilpatrick, who was ordered to pay $4.6 million for a series of crooked deals he allegedly pushed through while he was mayor, has always denied wrongdoing for the dozens of crimes of which he has been accused and convicted.
From Fox 2 News:
“The 28-year prison sentence is a culmination of a meticulously-crafted series of events to erase Kilpatrick’s accomplishments from the history books, lay blame on Kilpatrick for every shortcoming the city has faced over the past 50 years and, ultimately, to take Detroit.”
Despite a 6-month trial and a unanimous jury verdict, the trust insists that Kilpatrick is still not guilty.
Kilpatrick is also not going quietly. Since landing in federal prison last year, he has been posting to Facebook about his experiences on the inside. On December 17th, he wrote
” … in spending time here, I have the unique opportunity to accomplish the greatest thing that any man can. The opportunity to learn myself.”
Most of the visitors to Kilpatrick’s Facebook page express support.
One fan wrote, “This is an injustice. He does not deserve to be behind bars.”
Another said: “28 years. What a travesty of justice.”
But at least one critic weighs in, too: “Brotha admit your mistakes. Repay what you owe and make things right for your children. Show they can be proud of their father.”
As for the rules on how one can donate to the trust, the site states that any moneys given to the former mayor are “gifts” and “not tax-deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes.” But the site states that, as long as you give less than $14,000, you won’t be subject to a gift tax.
By the way, there is no refund policy.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31