I guess George Zimmerman feels that since he can get away with killing an innocent 17-year-old teen walking down the street with a bag of Skittles and an Arizona Iced Tea, he can also get away with stealing work that does not belong to him. But the Associated Press has some choice words for the wanna-be cop after he used one of their photos without authorization: pay me or else.
With $2 million in debt hovering over his head, Zimmerman has become something of a wanna-be artist since a Florida jury ruled him not guilty in July of shooting Trayvon Martin dead back in February of 2012. He has been selling “art” mocking America and, incredibly, it has fetched a handsome amount of money. One piece sold for more than $100,000, according to ebay. His most recent piece of artwork, titled “Angie,” is a doctored AP photo of Angela Corey, the woman who prosecuted him (poorly) during his murder trial last summer.
His brother, Robert Zimmerman, tweeted on Jan. 22 that the it would be on sale with details to follow:
But Team Zimmerman has already received private offers on the piece before releasing sale details to the public.
However, the AP is not please and the news agency’s spokesman Paul Colford said as much in an email to Politico:
“George Zimmerman clearly directly copied an AP photo to create his painting of Florida State Attorney Angela Corey,” Colford said. “The AP has sent a cease-and-desist letter asserting its copyright in the photo to the lawyer who recently represented Mr. Zimmerman. That lawyer has responded, and though she no longer represents Mr. Zimmerman, she will be forwarding the letter to him today.”
Always the one to poke the bear, Zimmerman had this to say in response:
Apparently, he isn’t aware of the fact that Shepard Fairey ended up settling with the AP for $1.6 million after he used one of its photos for his iconic Barack Obama “HOPE” poster. He ended up being sentenced in federal court in Manhattan in 2012 to two years of probation and fined $25,000 for tampering with evidence in the case, according to the New York Times.
This doesn’t seem to scare Zimmerman, however. But if I could be arrested for allegedly chocking my girlfriend (only to have her take back her statement) and be accused of pulling a gun on my wife and threatening her parents after she calls 911 (only to have her change her story) and get away with it, I guess I’d be feeling invincible, too.
However, something tells me the AP won’t be pull back on their demand that Zimmerman needs to stop trying to sell one of their photos as his own.
But ol’ George seems to be of the thick-headed variety, so it’s likely he will continue poking the bear until he ends up with a huge paw print smack dab on his face.
Now that would be a piece of art worth buying. In fact, it would be priceless.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31