The battle of the sexes is alive and well.
I was recently involved in a conversation with men and women about an NFL player accused of harassing his girlfriend into getting an abortion.
Most of the men felt that the woman was a gold digger who purposely got pregnant to get Arian Foster’s dough.
The women didn’t doubt that could be part of it, but when we learned she was in college and he’s married, most of us thought he was an insensitive jerk who would probably go to extreme measures to keep her from having a child that would possibly ruin his marriage. Then someone brought up the Rae Carruth story and suddenly we imagined Foster not only harassing her, but also threatening her life and actually causing her physical harm. If you watch any crime shows on cable TV, you know the story of the popular wide receiver who was convicted for masterminding the death of his pregnant girlfriend, Cherica Adams.
In fact, that was our trump card because no one in their right mind could defend Carruth or bear to imagine another young pregnant woman falling prey to such a horrible and senseless murder.
And then the bombshell headline: “Arian Foster’s Baby’s Mama Lied. “Arian Never Harassed Me About Abortion.’”
According to audio tape obtained by TMZ, 18-year-old college student Brittany Norwood blames her lawyer for encouraging her to make the claims that she was being strong-armed into terminating her pregnancy. She even praised Arian saying “I love you and you’re still the father of my child. You think I’m going to let anyone desecrate your name, especially if my baby has Foster tagged on it.”
Even though some people think this “confession” lets either of them off the hook, it really just adds another layer to this dysfunctional relationship.
We don’t know if Brittany loves Arian Foster so much that she’s protecting him or if the whole thing was a lie to begin with.
Here’s the thing. Arian Foster is no different than any other guy who cheats on his wife, gets the woman pregnant and finds himself in a major jam. Oh, but wait, the difference is that when he messes up, TMZ is waiting.
As wrong as Brittany may be for having an affair with a married man, Arian Foster has much more to lose—a wife of two years, a young son and daughter, his reputation and lots of money, too.
You can argue that Brittany wins, but not really. Adrian and his lawyers will make it as difficult as possible for her to get paid. And whatever she gets won’t be enough for her to deal with the rejection she and her child most likely will feel as they watch him publicly play out the rest of his life without them.
This may be one of the best cases for condom usage we’ve seen in a while.
Instead of battling over who’s taking advantage of whom, the conversation between men and women needs to be about moral values and sex education for boys and girls. And it can’t begin too soon.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25