The battle of the sexes is alive and well.
I was recently involved in a conversation with men and women about an NFL player accused of harassing his girlfriend into getting an abortion.
Most of the men felt that the woman was a gold digger who purposely got pregnant to get Arian Foster’s dough.
The women didn’t doubt that could be part of it, but when we learned she was in college and he’s married, most of us thought he was an insensitive jerk who would probably go to extreme measures to keep her from having a child that would possibly ruin his marriage. Then someone brought up the Rae Carruth story and suddenly we imagined Foster not only harassing her, but also threatening her life and actually causing her physical harm. If you watch any crime shows on cable TV, you know the story of the popular wide receiver who was convicted for masterminding the death of his pregnant girlfriend, Cherica Adams.
In fact, that was our trump card because no one in their right mind could defend Carruth or bear to imagine another young pregnant woman falling prey to such a horrible and senseless murder.
And then the bombshell headline: “Arian Foster’s Baby’s Mama Lied. “Arian Never Harassed Me About Abortion.’”
According to audio tape obtained by TMZ, 18-year-old college student Brittany Norwood blames her lawyer for encouraging her to make the claims that she was being strong-armed into terminating her pregnancy. She even praised Arian saying “I love you and you’re still the father of my child. You think I’m going to let anyone desecrate your name, especially if my baby has Foster tagged on it.”
Even though some people think this “confession” lets either of them off the hook, it really just adds another layer to this dysfunctional relationship.
We don’t know if Brittany loves Arian Foster so much that she’s protecting him or if the whole thing was a lie to begin with.
Here’s the thing. Arian Foster is no different than any other guy who cheats on his wife, gets the woman pregnant and finds himself in a major jam. Oh, but wait, the difference is that when he messes up, TMZ is waiting.
As wrong as Brittany may be for having an affair with a married man, Arian Foster has much more to lose—a wife of two years, a young son and daughter, his reputation and lots of money, too.
You can argue that Brittany wins, but not really. Adrian and his lawyers will make it as difficult as possible for her to get paid. And whatever she gets won’t be enough for her to deal with the rejection she and her child most likely will feel as they watch him publicly play out the rest of his life without them.
This may be one of the best cases for condom usage we’ve seen in a while.
Instead of battling over who’s taking advantage of whom, the conversation between men and women needs to be about moral values and sex education for boys and girls. And it can’t begin too soon.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31