Bosses, either you absolutely love them…or absolutely loathe them. I have had two incredible bosses throughout my tenure as an employee. They were very patient, receptive to employee ideas and suggestions, considerate of employee personal obligations, always exposing us to new and better ways of handling work matters and also very honest and forthcoming when dealing with company and employment issues. I have also had some not so pleasant bosses who lied, utilized horrible language in the workplace, exposed employees to personal matters going on within their family and also were completely dismissive about employee’s personal and professional growth.
Whether or not you are currently working for the devil who wears Prada or your boss subscribes to the Google method of a “chill” work environment, here are six tips to assist in improving and/or maintaining a positive work relationship with your boss.
1. Do Your Job, and Do It Well
Positive and beneficial contributions to a company will never go unnoticed. Be certain you put your best foot forward in all of your projects and assignments so your star can shine bright. One thing that can’t be denied is raw talent which assists in the fulfillment of company goals. You will gain positive attention from your superiors by simply doing good work.
2. Communicate Effectively
Bosses hate surprises, especially when the surprises can be detrimental to a desired goal. If you are having issues with a difficult co-worker, or if you do not totally comprehend the work that was assigned to you, respectfully request time to discuss this with your boss so you and your department may stay on task with any deadlines and goals.
3. Get to Know Your Boss Personally
I am not suggesting you and your boss attend weekly happy hours together (if that is not the culture of your company), however, pay attention to their interests and hobbies and attempt to engage in small conversation about these topics at an opportune time. Conversations about outside topics may assist in getting to know each other on a more personal basis and can assist in bringing down any walls that may hinder communication and understanding of each other.
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25
Continue reading 6 Tips to Help Improve Your Work Relationship With Your Boss