It seems some folks need a history lesson. Or maybe a simple lesson on cultural dignity will do.
Images of fliers for events that are supposed to be honoring Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday, which falls on Jan. 15., and is celebrated on Monday, Jan. 20., are being circulated on social media.
That wouldn’t be a bad thing if those fliers included quotes from his speeches, and were adding a digital edge to the causes that King fought for before an assassin gunned him down 44 years ago.
It wouldn’t be a bad thing if those fliers were advertising seminars or parties with a purpose toward getting younger black people to believe in their own power to end rampant unemployment, mass incarceration, and other problems that disproportionately dog them.
What’s been spreading on social media like gangrene on a wound festering with ignorance and indifference are fliers that depict Dr. King in ways that glorify the shallowness that leads some black people to do things that fuel their own oppression and exploitation.
One supremely silly flier depicts King with a crown on his head and ropes of gold around his neck, accompanied by images of Nicki Minaj.
Apparently, whoever created that flier didn’t get the memo that one of the last efforts that King spearheaded was a Poor People’s Campaign. Or that King gave away most of his life’s earnings, including the $54,600 he won for the Nobel Peace Prize, to the movement.
That’s how much of a baller he was not.
Another flier shows King wearing a huge gold medallion and black T-shirt and pointing to an advertisement that says, “Freedom 2 Twerk… Martin Luther King Day Weekend Party.”
And yet another one says: “B.O.S.S. N.I.G.G.A.Z.’s presents…Bad Bitch Sundays…The Official I Have A Dream Bash.” It depicts King spreading a wad of cash in his fingers, with a stripper in the background.
Again, somebody didn’t get the memo. King liked women, but chances are he didn’t refer to them as bitches. And I’m almost certain he would have something to say about the N.I.G.G.A.Z. thing.
The cash he would have given away, not flaunted.
But while these folks obviously didn’t get the memo, chances are they wouldn’t have cared if they had.
Sadly, they probably believe it’s easier to make a buck by exploiting some black people’s immaturities than to come up with creative ways to educate and entertain them.
The net result is that by doing this, by wrongly depicting King as a baller whose life is defined by women and money, the people making these fliers and hosting these events feed into the mentality that tells young black people, and black men especially, to eschew education for the quick buck, or to rob or steal to buy expensive sneakers and jewelry, because materialism and foolishness is what should define them.
These depictions of King are also offensive in that they assume black people are so shallow that the only way they can relate to this civil rights icon is through events that are the polar opposite of what he stood for.
All I can say is that’s sad.
And that it’s a good thing that King had more confidence in the strength and intelligence of black people than the folks behind those fliers.
Tonyaa Weathersbee is an award-winning columnist based in Jacksonville, Fla. Follow her @tonyaajw. Or like her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/tonyaajweathersbee.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30