For one reason or another, sometimes tenants are unable to fully adhere to the term limit of their lease agreement. Some factors include, but are not limited to, relocation due to work, financial difficulties, inhabitability of the premises and/or deciding to move in with your significant other.
Once a lease agreement is executed by you and your landlord, inclusive of the payment of a deposit and/or months of rent in advance, you are most times responsible for the entire amount owed for the term of the agreement. All states have different laws when it comes to the execution of a lease agreement, what constitutes a “legal” apartment and also how and when your security deposit must be paid back, so be cognizant of your state statutes.
If you should ever find yourself in a predicament where you may have to break your lease, here are four tips to assist:
1) READ YOUR LEASE
Before you sign the lease agreement, please read it. If you do not understand the terms of the lease agreement, ask questions. Who is responsible for extermination services? On what day will rent be considered late? Am I able to sublet the apartment? After I move, when will I get my security deposit back? These are a few questions you should ask if you can’t ascertain the answers from reading the lease on your own. Many people do not have the money and/or resources to hire an attorney to review a residential lease agreement, so don’t feel bad if you have to Google some preliminary information to understand exactly what you are signing. 9 times out of 10 there is language within the lease agreement that defines the notice you are required to give to your landlord prior to moving out of the premises. Also, the lease will explain if there are any penalties or potential legal ramifications should you decide to move prior to the end of your lease.
If you are relocating due to a new work opportunity in another city, inform your new employer of your lease agreement and ask them to cover the costs associated with breaking the lease. This may include payment of the remaining months left on the lease, or it may just require payment of a penalty. Additionally, you should negotiate with your landlord. Ask your landlord (in writing), for permission to seek a tenant to take over the remainder of your lease. This can be an outright new lease without you being on the hook should the new tenant not pay, or it may be via a sublease agreement where you will still be liable should the new tenant not pay or adhere to the terms of the lease.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading 4 Insider Tips On How To Successfully Get Out Of Your Lease