David Douglas is facing a slew of charges, including kidnapping for reportedly following a mother and daughter home from a shopping trip and snatching the 7-year-old girl from in front of her residence, according KTVU 2.
Thankfully, the child’s abductor was spotted by good Samaritan LaShay Burks, who is being credited for helping police in Antioch, Ill., capture the alleged kidnapper and making it possible for the little girl to return to her mother’s waiting arms.
The harrowing event occurred on Friday evening when the unidentified mother and young daughter went to a local Walmart to do some shopping. When the pair arrived home, Douglas allegedly confronted them on the street, grabbed the child and threatened to shoot the mom with a rifle.
Douglas was able to get away with the child. An Amber Alert was immediately issued, describing Douglas and the gold-colored Toyota Camry he had been driving. Meanwhile, Burks and her sister had been sitting in their vehicle at the Antioch Marina when they observed a vehicle parked next to theirs and noticed a man inside behaving in an odd fashion.
“We had been sitting next to that car for about twenty minutes,” said Burks. “I just knew there was a body laying down, and I kept telling my sister, ‘There’s someone in that car.’”
Coincidentally, Burks then received a call from another sister alerting her to a local kidnapping, the car’s description and how the suspect was armed and dangerous. Despite her sister’s warning, Burks felt compelled to investigate the car. “I got out, and I walked around the car but my sister said, ‘Be careful, he has a gun.’ So I was gonna knock on the window, but instead I saw another car pull up,” said Burks.
The car pulling up beside her was an unmarked police cruiser and Burks seized the opportunity to try to alert the driver.
“So I went to my car and I just honked the horn, and the car that stopped was a police officer, undercover, and I kept honking the horn and he jumped out with a gun and told the guy get out of the car,” Burks told KTVU.
The officer arrested Douglas at the marina and the child was safely delivered to her mother at the police station.
According to police, Douglas does not have a rap sheet for sexual offenses or serious crimes. He did, however, allegedly try to lure another child away from her mother at the very same Antioch Walmart the day before he kidnapped the 7-year-old child.
When Douglas reportedly made the earlier kidnapping attempt, there were no weapons used or police reports filed, but his license plate was taken down.
Meanwhile, Burks is ecstatic she was instrumental in helping to get a little girl away from her kidnapper. “I’m blessed to be able to help somebody else out. I’m thankful I was there, and I think everything happens for a reason,” said Burks, who has elementary school-aged nieces. “What if it was one of ours? And that made me say, ‘I got to get out, I got to go check this out,’” said Burks.
As far as the child, it is unknown if she suffered sexual abuse at the hands of her abductor.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25