A Miami appeals court has thrown out a double-murder conviction against Gabriel Mobley who fatally shot two men and then invoked the Stand Your Ground law, the Miami Herald reports.
During a February 2008 visit to a North Miami-Dade Chili’s, Mobley reportedly stepped outside with friend Jose Correa for a cigarette. When they reportedly returned to their table, they found Jason Jesus Gonzalez and Rolando Carrazana talking with their female friends, causing a short argument that Mobley tried to diffuse.
Though Gonzalez and Carrazana eventually left, they soon began reportedly pounding on the restaurant’s windows and pointing at Mobley and Correa. After Mobley and Correa went outside to continue smoking, Mobley reportedly fetched his glock pistol from his car for safety purposes.
Gonzalez then suddenly appeared and punched Correa in the face, fracturing his eye socket. He then allegedly danced backward, taunting the men.
Immediately afterward, Carrazana rushed the men. Mobley then produced the glock and repeatedly fired, fatally wounding Carrazana and Gonzalez. Mobley says he fired because he thought Carrazana was armed.
“I was scared, and then I seen this other guy coming up from the back and then he reached up under his shirt so I was scared,” he said during a January 2012 immunity hearing. “I thought, you know, they were going to shoot or kill us.”
Prosecutors charged Mobley months after the incident upon reviewing surveillance footage. Last year, Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Thomas Rebull refused to wave Mobley’s murder charges, arguing that his testimony wasn’t credible and that his use of force was “neither reasonable nor necessary.”
However, the appeals court countered that while it “may have been prudent” for Mobley and Correa to “skitter to their cars and hightail it out of there when they had the chance,” the men did nothing wrong being outside the Chili’s and “did nothing to precipitate this violent attack.”
The appeals court agreed to void Mobley’s charges because “the shooting at issue did not occur in a vacuum,” per Judge Linda Ann Wells, in writing about the court’s decision. “Mobley did not shoot two innocent bystanders who just happened upon him on a sidewalk.”
The ruling marks the first time a court has granted immunity to a defendant under the controversial “Stand Your Ground” law.
One of Mobley’s defense attorneys praised the decision.
“Anyone who says that Mr. Mobley had other options or time to make a long, thought-out decision before using force has never been in that unthinkable situation — where the possibility of never again seeing your family hinges on your split-second reaction to two violent attackers,” said Eduardo Pereira.
Miami-Dade prosecutors claim they will appeal the ruling. Should it stay, no jury will be able to consider if Mobley acted in self-defense or not.
“This is what is so frustrating about the way the law is structured,” commented Miami-Dade Chief Assistant State Attorney Kathleen Hoague. “It is devastating for the victims’ families. They never get to have their day in court before a jury.”
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Court Throws Out Double-Murder Charges For Man Who Stood His Ground