½ Cup Fresh Basil Leaves
2 Garlic Cloves, Peeled
1 ½ Cups Canned Chickpeas, Strained and Rinsed
½ Cup Low Fat Ricotta Cheese
2 Teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Large Zucchini, Cut Lengthwise into ¼ Inch Thick Strips
½ Cup Pasta Sauce
2 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese, Grated
1. Prepare a food processor with the blade attachment.
2. Pick basil leaves off the stems to measure indicated amount. Place in bowl of food processor.
3. Smash the garlic under the side of your chef’s knife to remove the peel. Add to the food processor. Turn on food processor to mince the garlic and fresh basil. Scrape down the sides.
4. Strain the chickpeas through a colander and rinse under cold water until water runs clear. Dry thoroughly, then add to the food processor. Run the food processor until the chickpeas are finely chopped and mixture is becoming paste-like.
5. Scrape down sides of the food processor, then add ricotta cheese and olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Puree until well combined. If you have a lot more prep work to do, transfer to a small dish and refrigerate until ready to build the lasagna.
6. Very lightly grease a sheet pan with olive oil.
7. Cut zucchini thinly, about 1/4 inch thick lengthwise, to get long ribbons. You want enough ribbons to make 2 layers in the baking dish. Place ribbons on the prepared sheet pan. Do not overlap.
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Sprinkle the zucchini ribbons with a little bit of salt and pepper on both sides.
3. Place the zucchini ribbons in the preheated oven and cook until tender, about 13-15 minutes. Flip each ribbon after 7 minutes to ensure even cooking.
4. Once zucchini is out of the oven, turn on the broiler. Let zucchini cool slightly.
5. Start building the lasagna by spreading 2 Tablespoons of pasta sauce on the bottom of the 8″x8″ baking dish.
6. Lay the roasted zucchini slices flat on top of the pasta sauce in the baking dish. Scoop the chickpea and ricotta mixture on top and spread out evenly. Top with the remaining zucchini ribbons. You may need to trim the zucchini ribbons so they fit the dish.
7. Spread the remaining pasta sauce over the second layer of zucchini and sprinkle Parmesan cheese evenly over the top.
8. Place the zucchini lasagna under the broiler and heat until cheese is melted and golden brown, about 2-4 minutes.
9. After lasagna is out of the broiler, let it cool slightly before slicing, about 5 minutes.
10. Slice lasagna and use a spatula to transfer portions to dinner plates. Serve warm!