Franklin Jackson (pictured) was charged with reckless homicide and aggravated driving under the influence of a crash Sunday afternoon, after he smashed his SUV into a guard rail and was reportedly too drunk to notice that his 4-year-old son had been ejected through the vehicle’s rear window. His son, Franklin Jr. (pictured), who was not wearing his seatbelt, died of head trauma, according to the Chicago Tribune.
Franklin’s wife, Linda Bassett, and their three other children — ages 1, 2 and three-months old — were riding in the SUV with him as well. The family was traveling from League City, Texas to Chicago to visit Bassett’s relatives for the holidays. According to police, Jackson struck a guard rail twice as they traveled along the highway. Upon smashing his vehicle, Jackson continued to travel four exits before stopping at a gas station to observe the vehicle’s damage.
Neither he nor his wife noticed that Franklin Jr. had been ejected from the vehicle during the crash. The child had flown through the vehicle’s rear window and lay in a grassy embankment along the highway. Police who responded to the scene found the unresponsive child, who was later taken to a hospital and pronounced dead.
Jackson, who was treated at a hospital for broken ribs told police he did not know his 4-year-old had been thrown from the SUV until he arrived at the gas station. Bassett and the couple’s three other children were not injured.
Franklin Jr. was the only passenger in the vehicle who had not been wearing a seatbelt.
Meanwhile, authorities stated that Jackson reportedly reeked of alcohol and had “glassy and bloodshot eyes.” The father of now three, admitted to police that he had been drinking. Investigators reportedly found an empty vodka bottle and beer cans strewn throughout Jackson’s SUV.
On Wednesday a judge ordered Jackson to be held on $250,000 bail.
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.