A year ago, Eduardo Camargo was on one of the toughest missions of his life, but it was a battle he had to win at all costs. Camargo needed to lose forty pounds in less than two months so that he could be a liver donor for his baby girl, Jazlyn, according to ABC News.
The 35-year-old dad, who weighed in at 210 pounds, had a fatty liver, which is common in people who are overweight. People who are obese in general are also not good candidates for organ donation because they have a greater risk of complications during surgery.
Camargo had always battled the bulge and was never a victor. This go-round however, Camargo had to win his fight since he had made the decision that he’d be the one to save his daughter’s life, not his wife, because he felt his three children needed a mother more than a father.
Camargo, who had not exercised since high school, set his sights on dropping the weight for Jazlyn, who suffered from biliary atresia, an oftentimes congenital and life-threatening condition in infants, in which the bile ducts inside or outside the liver do not have normal openings.
The devoted and determined dad began cutting his meals down, incorporating more veggies into his diet and drinking water instead of soft drinks. He also added running to his exercise regimen, which became especially taxing on his knees. The doting dad told ABC News, “There were days when I thought my knees would give out and all I wanted to do was stop, but I would think of my daughter and I would keep going. After a while I worked my way up to six miles in an hour.”
Jazlyn’s determined father’s hard work in losing the weight paid off in November of last year when he got down to 180 pounds in less than two months. The weight loss also resulted in a liver fat percentage decrease to under two percent, which pleased the transplant doctors.
Camargo became cleared for the surgery just one day before Jazlyn’s liver began to fail. The next day, Camargo underwent the surgery where doctors removed one-third of his liver to give to his daughter.
Both surgeries were successful.
Camargo will suffer no ill effects from the surgery and his liver regenerated within three months after the procedure. Jazlyn will, however, have to remain on immunosuppressant medications, but should lead a normal life.
Now more than a year later, Camargo and Jazlyn are fine. He has maintained the majority of his weight loss and is grateful to be able to enjoy the holidays with his baby. Camargo has also become an avid supporter of organ donation. As a matter of fact, he managed to get his entire clan to sign the backs of their driver’s licenses to become organ donors as well.
Now, nothing warms the devoted dad’s heart more than seeing his little girl actively running all about his home. “It’s a scary experience going through it but the outcome pays off,” Camargo told ABC News. “When you see your child running up and down, you know something good came out of it.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25