A year ago, Eduardo Camargo was on one of the toughest missions of his life, but it was a battle he had to win at all costs. Camargo needed to lose forty pounds in less than two months so that he could be a liver donor for his baby girl, Jazlyn, according to ABC News.
The 35-year-old dad, who weighed in at 210 pounds, had a fatty liver, which is common in people who are overweight. People who are obese in general are also not good candidates for organ donation because they have a greater risk of complications during surgery.
Camargo had always battled the bulge and was never a victor. This go-round however, Camargo had to win his fight since he had made the decision that he’d be the one to save his daughter’s life, not his wife, because he felt his three children needed a mother more than a father.
Camargo, who had not exercised since high school, set his sights on dropping the weight for Jazlyn, who suffered from biliary atresia, an oftentimes congenital and life-threatening condition in infants, in which the bile ducts inside or outside the liver do not have normal openings.
The devoted and determined dad began cutting his meals down, incorporating more veggies into his diet and drinking water instead of soft drinks. He also added running to his exercise regimen, which became especially taxing on his knees. The doting dad told ABC News, “There were days when I thought my knees would give out and all I wanted to do was stop, but I would think of my daughter and I would keep going. After a while I worked my way up to six miles in an hour.”
Jazlyn’s determined father’s hard work in losing the weight paid off in November of last year when he got down to 180 pounds in less than two months. The weight loss also resulted in a liver fat percentage decrease to under two percent, which pleased the transplant doctors.
Camargo became cleared for the surgery just one day before Jazlyn’s liver began to fail. The next day, Camargo underwent the surgery where doctors removed one-third of his liver to give to his daughter.
Both surgeries were successful.
Camargo will suffer no ill effects from the surgery and his liver regenerated within three months after the procedure. Jazlyn will, however, have to remain on immunosuppressant medications, but should lead a normal life.
Now more than a year later, Camargo and Jazlyn are fine. He has maintained the majority of his weight loss and is grateful to be able to enjoy the holidays with his baby. Camargo has also become an avid supporter of organ donation. As a matter of fact, he managed to get his entire clan to sign the backs of their driver’s licenses to become organ donors as well.
Now, nothing warms the devoted dad’s heart more than seeing his little girl actively running all about his home. “It’s a scary experience going through it but the outcome pays off,” Camargo told ABC News. “When you see your child running up and down, you know something good came out of it.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
29 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 29
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 29
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 29
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 29
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 29
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 29
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 29
8. new new
8 of 29
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 29
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 29
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 29
12 of 29
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 29
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 29
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 29
16. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
16 of 29
17. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
17 of 29
18. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
18 of 29
19. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
19 of 29
20 of 29
21. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
21 of 29
22. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
22 of 29
23. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
23 of 29
24. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
24 of 29
25. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
25 of 29
26. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
26 of 29
27. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
27 of 29
28. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
28 of 29
29. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
29 of 29