WASHINGTON (AP) — Ally Financial Inc. is paying $98 million to resolve U.S. government claims that minority borrowers were charged higher rates on its auto loans than whites with similar credit histories.
The agreement announced Friday by the Justice Department and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is the government’s biggest auto-loan discrimination settlement to date.
Ally is paying $80 million in damages to about 235,000 African-American, Hispanic and Asian and Pacific Islander borrowers, and $18 million in penalties. The higher rates were charged on auto loans between April 2011 and December 2013, according to the government.
Detroit-based Ally is one of the largest indirect auto lenders in the U.S. Ally doesn’t make auto loans directly to consumers; it buys the loan contracts made by auto dealers. Ally sets an interest rate for the loans and allows dealers to charge customers a higher rate, or dealer markup.
The government says the system gives Ally an incentive to allow auto dealers to charge higher markups. Ally failed to adequately monitor rate-setting by dealers, the government said.
Ally says it sets rates based only on borrowers’ credit profiles and that it doesn’t practice or condone discrimination.
Ally said in a statement that “based on the company’s analysis of its business, it does not believe that there is measurable discrimination by auto dealers.”
At the same time, Ally said it takes the government’s allegations “very seriously” and has agreed to the settlement terms. The company said it expects to take a $98 million charge against fourth-quarter earnings for the settlement.
Government officials said they have not accused Ally of deliberately discriminating against minority borrowers in its rate-setting. But whether the action is deliberate or not matters little to the borrowers who are discriminated against, they said.
Under the settlement, Ally will have to monitor dealers’ rate-setting to prevent further discrimination or eliminate the dealer markups. A compliance program to be established by Ally will include education of dealers about anti-discrimination laws and taking action against dealers when discrimination occurs.
“We are taking a firm stand against discrimination in a critical lending market,” Attorney General Eric Holder said in a statement. “By requiring Ally to provide refunds to those who are overcharged because of their race or national origin, this agreement will ensure relief for Americans who are victimized.”
The National Automobile Dealers Association said it fully supports the anti-discrimination laws but it criticized the approach taken by the regulators in the settlement with Ally.
“The CFPB continues to withhold the secret methodology it uses to determine whether unintentional discrimination has occurred,” the group said in a statement. “The public still does not know whether the (CFPB) takes into account legitimate factors that can affect finance rates — for example, a dealer’s ability, regardless of race, to lower the interest rate to meet a customer’s monthly budget.”
Ally, the former auto loan and mortgage arm of General Motors, received a $17.2 billion federal bailout at the height of the financial crisis, to save the company and keep auto loans flowing. Ally has repaid roughly $12 billion. The Treasury Department still holds a 64 percent stake in Ally, with the rest held by a mix of institutional investors.
GM said last week it has sold its 8.5 percent stake in Ally for about $900 million, expecting to record a gain of $500 million from the sale in its fourth-quarter earnings.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30